OPACY New Home of the Jays? Update (No. It is Buffalo.)

Pat Kelly

14 hours ago, SteveA said:

The Orioles announced over the weekend that all games, home and away, the MASN-TV broadcasters and Oriole radio network radio broadcasters would be do their broadcasts from the booths at Camden Yards.

So Garceau, Bordick, McDonals, Brown, etc would be in the Oriole Park booths even when the Orioles were on the road.  They'd have one workplace to report to, which is a ballpark where Covid protocols have been in force since July 1.

That would have to change completely if the Blue Jays were playing home games at OPACY when the Orioles were on the road.

They could purposely and obviously ignore the Jays' game going on in the background.  And Easter Egg a Cito Sucks into each broadcast.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, SteveA said:

The Orioles announced over the weekend that all games, home and away, the MASN-TV broadcasters and Oriole radio network radio broadcasters would be do their broadcasts from the booths at Camden Yards.

So Garceau, Bordick, McDonals, Brown, etc would be in the Oriole Park booths even when the Orioles were on the road.  They'd have one workplace to report to, which is a ballpark where Covid protocols have been in force since July 1.

That would have to change completely if the Blue Jays were playing home games at OPACY when the Orioles were on the road.

Sounds like this season is becoming more and more like the movie major leagues.

hqdefault.jpg

18 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Makes more sense than the Pittsburgh plan. 8 days of conflict instead of 7 but being able to play in DC over the conflicted dates is more attractive than having to play somewhere else where flights and additional would be required under the Pittsburgh plan.

Put the whole team up at the Hilton, they have plenty of room, could probably commandeer their gym and conference centers for additional workout space and storage, since things would be limited with the Orioles using their home clubhouse the whole season.

Baltimore is also closer to all of the Blue Jays opponents than Pittsburgh is, including three games at Baltimore and two at the Nats, so their travel would be cut down significantly

The Pirates seem to actively be angling for it publicly though, which seems a little gauche, in my opinion.

Not really gauche when you consider it's really just one GM, Cherington, who has worked with another, Shapiro, for many years of their career trying to help his friend out.  Cherington worked for the Blue Jay's so it makes a lot of sense for him to try and help them out.

19 hours ago, SteveA said:

Why's that? Couldn't the Jays broadcasters/whoever just use the visiting media booth?

45 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Why's that? Couldn't the Jays broadcasters/whoever just use the visiting media booth?

So our guys would be sitting in the booth looking at monitors from Boston or Tampa, describing a game, while there was a game going on down on the field?   The booths are open, right?   You'd hear the crack of the bat from a Blue Jay batter.  Heck, a foul ball might come flying into the booth.

No way they do that.   If they do this Blue Jay thing, they will have to find another studio somewhere for the Oriole announcers to do road games from, with the feed and all the equipment.   Maybe in the warehouse somewhere.   

20 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why?  Would be good for the local economy.  Not as if the O's wouldn't get precedence if both teams were scheduled to play.

I don't care for the Jays but this isn't the time to be petty about stuff.

I'm guessing the Jays or the league will pay the hosting facilities.

More people in town traveling from Florida and bringing back the virus while eatinng out at restaurants and socializing in bars.  No way we should take them.  If Toronto doesn't want them we surely don't. 

20 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why?  Would be good for the local economy.  Not as if the O's wouldn't get precedence if both teams were scheduled to play.

I don't care for the Jays but this isn't the time to be petty about stuff.

I'm guessing the Jays or the league will pay the hosting facilities.

How would it help the local economy?   40 or 50 coaches/players/staff in hotel rooms for about 30-35 nights?   Seems very minimal in the grand scheme of things.

2 hours ago, atomic said:

More people in town traveling from Florida and bringing back the virus while eatinng out at restaurants and socializing in bars.  No way we should take them.  If Toronto doesn't want them we surely don't. 

Not to derail this thread into general COVID stuff, but Maryland hasn't particularly outperformed Florida in terms of infection rate or deaths over the course of this thing. While in general more travelling between places would be expected to put upward pressure on infection spread potential, I don't think it's fair to single out Florida, despite the apparent media obsession with the state in particular.

38 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Not to derail this thread into general COVID stuff, but Maryland hasn't particularly outperformed Florida in terms of infection rate or deaths over the course of this thing. While in general more travelling between places would be expected to put upward pressure on infection spread potential, I don't think it's fair to single out Florida, despite the apparent media obsession with the state in particular.

Florida and Texas are bursting with respiking and the numbers in hospital beds.

Maryland numbers are relatively small.

Florida is reporting 6,991 COVID patients in Hospital Beds today

Md has 484 COVID in hospital beds today

So, significant difference

53 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

11 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Also I think Maryland positive test rate is under 5 percent while Florida is something like 19 percent.   

36 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

29 minutes ago, atomic said:

Also I think Maryland positive test rate is under 5 percent while Florida is something like 19 percent.   

And while all of that may be, Florida's current per-capita daily/weekly death rate is still significantly below where Maryland's was back in May. My point isn't that Florida is doing great at the moment or that Maryland is necessarily doing poorly. Rather, I think we would be well-served to not single any one state out as the bogeyman in all of this, particularly when the numbers don't necessarily support the air of superiority thrown about. It's nasty and not exactly productive.

Maryland was at a 25/26% rate in May and there wasn't anything close to this level of ire directed our way. Maybe that's because we weren't doing anything close to as poorly as NY/NJ/CT/MA, but again I don't think it's right to now look down our noses at other states.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/individual-states/maryland

31 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

And while all of that may be, Florida's current per-capita daily/weekly death rate is still significantly below where Maryland's was back in May. My point isn't that Florida is doing great at the moment or that Maryland is necessarily doing poorly. Rather, I think we would be well-served to not single any one state out as the bogeyman in all of this, particularly when the numbers don't necessarily support the air of superiority thrown about. It's nasty and not exactly productive.

Maryland was at a 25/26% rate in May and there wasn't anything close to this level of ire directed our way. Maybe that's because we weren't doing anything close to as poorly as NY/NJ/CT/MA, but again I don't think it's right to now look down our noses at other states.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/individual-states/maryland

I am not sure how I am giving an air of superiority.  Florida has a much higher current rate of infection.  Probably even higher in Miami and Tampa areas.  You have some sort of agenda unrelated to anything we posted.  Maryland probably should have done a 14 day quarantine a month ago for out of state visitors when we had the virus much lower rate.   As for Maryland's rate in May.  Testing was saved for the sickest people at that time. Currently testing is much more widespread.   Florida should have kept out of staters out of the state back in May and maybe they wouldn't have such a high infection rate currently.