Marlins ( and now Phillies) season(s) on pause, O's to host Yankees on Wednesday and Thursday

MurphDogg

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

so much for my thoughts about them standing down for a day or two, to sort this mess out. lol

Damn the torpedoes, full stem ahead! 

I remain skeptical that this will actually take place, but that seems to be the blind hope.

1 hour ago, Uli2001 said:

All I would like to know is, did they seriously think that this was not going to happen? There are only two ways you think you can have sports this year: 1) you are naive, 2) you are not naive, but you don't care that infection is going to spread. The problem with 2) is that at some point either players, or people around the players, are going to get seriously ill or even pass away, and then you have a PR disaster in your hands in addition to huge lawsuits.

Except that players and anyone else working around the teams have the option of not working.  No one is making anyone do anything here.  

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

Could we not have the Marlins anywhere near our guys until the remaining Marlins players have been confirmed negative for covid, please?

That'd be great. Thanks.

How can they be confirmed negative under the current system? As soon as they get tested they can celebrate their result at the nearest gentlemen's club. 

5 hours ago, esmd said:

So if the season WERE to end from this and the O's don't play any other games.....could the O's declare themselves 2020 AL East Champions?  Asking for a friend.....

There are going to be some bizarre records too.

Who wins the AL MVP?  I nominate Jose Iglesias

• Upvote 1

I see a lot of "its just a game" and not worth the risk. I'm not here to debate where to draw the safety line. But it certainly is not just a game. This is as much of a business as the restaurant you go to downtown, The furniture store in the mall or your local plumber. Lots of jobs revolve around the entertainment industry. Restaurants, furniture stores and plumbers are all trying to open and work within safety guidelines the best they can. Your plumber and waitress are asking the same questions, it is worth the risk? 

Everyone has to draw the line for themselves. But make no mistake, MLB is a business, and just like all the other businesses out there, they are trying to find a way to operate, and it would be devastating to any business to just simply shut down for a year. Plus whatever they learn this summer might help them operate in 2021, because there is a chance we might be in the same boat come April.    

• Upvote 4

48 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

Could we not have the Marlins anywhere near our guys until the remaining Marlins players have been confirmed negative for covid, please?

That'd be great. Thanks.

Seriously. I hope all our guys are wearing masks at the plate and in the field. 

Marlins should be required to wear masks at all times during the game. 

Jeter might want to lawyer up soon. 

The operations manual says that after a player tests positive for COVID-19, the club must conduct contact tracing to identify the individuals who had close contact with the infected individual. The Marlins flew together to Philadelphia from Atlanta, traveled by bus to a Center City hotel, traveled by bus to the ballpark, dressed in the clubhouse, and sat in the dugout.

It could be easily argued that every Marlins player and staff member came in close contact over the weekend with the infected players. If so, the operations manual says those individuals should be quarantined or isolated pending the results of an Expedited Diagnostic Test, which the Marlins received Sunday morning. Instead of quarantining and thus postponing Sunday’s game, the Marlins played a 3-hour, 44-minute game against the Phillies and then learned Monday morning that eight additional players had tested positive.

https://www.inquirer.com/phillies/miami-marlins-coronavirus-outbreak-phillies-mlb-season-20200727.html

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2