Braves DFA Foltynewicz

Sports Guy

3 HR in 3.1 IP in his first start isn't, uh.. great, but that 4.54 ERA last year would absolutely play on a team where we had a lot of good feelings about Wojo's 4.92 last season (including me - I like Wojo! But like, 4.92 is pretty bad!).

So yeah, I'm in favor. 

5 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

He’s a mess right now.  I can’t see him being able to eat innings which would be the point of getting him.  If he does turn it around, we wouldn’t have control of him when we’re ready to compete, IMO.

Being a mess fits right in with our rotation..the difference is that he has actually shown himself to be really good and he has done it recently.

28 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

If he passes through waivers and is released, the O's would only be on the hook for what they offer. 

I doubt if he passes through waivers.  My guess is Atlanta will find a trade partner.  If he isn't traded and passes through waivers, that would be an indicator that the teams know something that we don't, IMO.  Atlanta giving up on him does make me wonder.  If he does happen to pass through waivers, wouldn't he remain Atlanta's property and be outrighted to their AAA team?  I mean, they'd have to pay him anyway, so why would they just release him?

50 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Being a mess fits right in with our rotation..the difference is that he has actually shown himself to be really good and he has done it recently.

36 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Orioles should look at him for sure, he only turns 29 in October.  

His 2018 season looks to be an outlier but if he could be a 4.50 ERA guy for us that'd be moving in the right direction.

Braves are trying to compete. O’s have the flexibility to let him try to work things out. 

25 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

You have to wonder why the Braves don’t think he’s one of their best 15 or 16 pitchers.  Why not hide him on the roster and see if he figures things out in bullpen sessions?

After a team just had 11 (or more) players test positive for covid, I think they want as much flexibility as possible in case something similar happens to them.  

Edited by ThomasTomasz

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I would bring Povich or McDermott up and see if they can be an impact arm.  Why trade, if they can get some experience and also maybe do the job?
    • I’d argue they are 2 guys short in the BP.  
    • Looks like it worked today.  I’m going to go out on a short limb and say Vlad’s defense at 3B will hurt them a lot more than Vogelbach’s bat will help them.  Looking forward to seeing this alignment on a regular basis.
    • I would argue they are 2 short. Webb and Cano are not back end guys with their average to below average K rates. In order of high leverage to low leverage, I like the idea of: Kimbrel, Trade 1, Coulombe, Trade 2, Cano, Perez, Webb, Akin/Suarez Cano is still fine against RHB’s and Webb has reverse splits. They need a righty version of Coulombe, someone that is a true backend guy and can get both lefties and righties out.  They can probably manage with just 1 addition and keeping 2 of Akin/Suarez/Tate in the pen. But having those 2 additions and not having to rely on Cano turning back into 2023 Cano seems smart. The BP is the clear weakness of the team and this could be the only year with Burnes. Might as well load up.
    • And he was flashing some wheels too, stretching into a 2B and also cutting off balls in the field, making competitive throws trying to get runners. 
    • Agreed they were one reliever short I thought even with Baumann(even though I don’t trust him much), now with Viera they are 2 guys short.  That was a downgrade though they must think they can get him fixed enough to have him help out later on.  Perez has pitched well so that is a big help but still another guy is needed for times like today.  I do think they might add Lopez if they can claim him on waivers who is better option then Viera imo.  
    • I have no problem going reliever at #22 if he profiles as a dominant reliever.  Sounds like Massey can be gotten later but I’d have no problem going for Brody Brecht with one of those first two picks.  Again, I prefer Gillen or Lindsey at #22.  Be great if we could get one at #22 and the other at #32.        Who do you consider high upside that might be there at #32?
  • Popular Contributors