Severino = terrible D

calebelias

Like others, I would like to see Sisco get more looks. I am in the same boat as most that don't expect Sisco to develop into an everyday level catcher, but would like to see if he can become a solid back-up or even a bit of a utility player. I'd like to see him get some looks in other positions around the field, see if he can look somewhat okay at 1B or LF.

This season (however much of it we get) is about seeing what we have in some of these fringe type players. We can't get a real long look, but it's a chance to see what guys like Stewart, Santander, Sisco and others can become and if they can be useful role players before the bulk of the ABs start going to the likes of Mountcastle, Diaz, Adley, etc.

5 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

Like others, I would like to see Sisco get more looks. I am in the same boat as most that don't expect Sisco to develop into an everyday level catcher, but would like to see if he can become a solid back-up or even a bit of a utility player. I'd like to see him get some looks in other positions around the field, see if he can look somewhat okay at 1B or LF.

This season (however much of it we get) is about seeing what we have in some of these fringe type players. We can't get a real long look, but it's a chance to see what guys like Stewart, Santander, Sisco and others can become and if they can be useful role players before the bulk of the ABs start going to the likes of Mountcastle, Diaz, Adley, etc.

They need to see if he can hit before that's worth looking at.  If you can't hit at catcher you need to be a plus plus glove utility guy.

17 minutes ago, esmd said:

Funny this is, wasn't Severino reputed to be a strong defensive catcher? 

He's got a great arm, but that's about it. I like him but some of those attempts at blocks last night were a joke without even mentioning the interference. He just seemed out of sorts.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Did I say he did?

Did I say anything positive about Sisco's defense in this thread?  

I don't get the point of your post.

14 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

All the time posters spent whining about Sisco's defense and here we are.

And your point about posters "whining about Sisco's defense" was pertinent to Severino how? To chastise others who think Sisco's defense sucks that they are not allowed to express their displeasure with another catcher's poor play? Or to continue the constant drum banging of "play Sisco, because he is not actually bad on defense, and even if he is that bad it doesn't matter."?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

And your point about posters "whining about Sisco's defense" was pertinent to Severino how? To chastise others who think Sisco's defense sucks that they are not allowed to express their displeasure with another catcher's poor play? Or to continue the constant drum banging of "play Sisco, because he is not actually bad on defense, and even if he is that bad it doesn't matter."?

Nope, it was just me finding it amusing that so much board ire was spent admonishing one player for his defense when his counterpart, who avoided such criticism in his time here, was performing so poorly.

I guess since you didn't explain the point of you post it didn't have one?

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, esmd said:

Funny this is, wasn't Severino reputed to be a strong defensive catcher? 

I mentioned his problems to a friend of mine who is a Nats fan and watches almost every Nats game (though he goes to bed at 9PM on worknights so he obviously misses some).

My friend did not recall Pedro having all these problems blocking balls in his time as a Nats backup C.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, esmd said:

At the end of the day, what do they have to lose playing Sisco during this walking cluster of a season?  Might as well play him & give him a chance to improve.

Seems like a lot of us agree on that.   But we'll see if it is the plan.   So far we've faced 3 righthanded pitchers and Sisco has only started once.   He won't go tonight vs a lefty, but I think we'll face 3 straight righties vs Tampa.   How about giving him 2 starts vs Tampa instead of just the one on Sunday?  

16 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

All the time posters spent whining about Sisco's defense and here we are.

As bad as Sisco, and let's not candy coat it, he's bad defensively, Severino is not the defensive whiz some reported while he was in the minors. While he has a good arm and calls a decent game, he's a not good framer and even before his atrocious game yesterday, he was not good blocker. 

Not sure if his mind was elsewhere yesterday, but that was one of the worse games I've seen from a major league catcher. 

Just now, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Severino is starting tonight.

You all know my feelings kn Sisco, but be needs to be in the line up. If his arm is still bothering him, he needs to be on the IL.

Severino acts like he has opted out, mentally, on defense.

The Yankees are starting a lefty. 

53 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Seems like a lot of us agree on that.   But we'll see if it is the plan.   So far we've faced 3 righthanded pitchers and Sisco has only started once.   He won't go tonight vs a lefty, but I think we'll face 3 straight righties vs Tampa.   How about giving him 2 starts vs Tampa instead of just the one on Sunday?  

I would not be surprised to see this. I said before the season started, and this is from someone who does not think Sisco is ever going to be a MLB average regular catcher, that I think Sisco should get a heavy workload this year in order to give him a final evaluation. 

• Upvote 1