Severino = terrible D

calebelias

3 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Severino is starting tonight.

You all know my feelings kn Sisco, but be needs to be in the line up. If his arm is still bothering him, he needs to be on the IL.

Severino acts like he has opted out, mentally, on defense.

Lefty on the mound for the Yankees. It was always going to by Severino tonight. 

Sisco is incompetent at catcher. Last year he made some plays that an eight-year-old in T-ball would be embarrassed to confess. His batting eye seems to have improved, so it would be wise to just move him off of catcher; make him a first baseman or a designated hitter or something, end the catching experiment, get rid of Smith, call up Holaday, And start developing Sisco at whatever is the least demanding defensive position. If he can keep his walk rate up and decrease his K rate, he might be worth keeping.

Severino was woof last night, but I was at the Baltimore/Texas game when Severino suddenly threw a strike to second base when no one was within 20 feet, so it’s not like it hasn’t happened before.

7 minutes ago, Philip said:

Sisco is incompetent at catcher. Last year he made some plays that an eight-year-old in T-ball would be embarrassed to confess. His batting eye seems to have improved, so it would be wise to just move him off of catcher; make him a first baseman or a designated hitter or something, end the catching experiment, get rid of Smith, call up Holaday, And start developing Sisco at whatever is the least demanding defensive position. If he can keep his walk rate up and decrease his K rate, he might be worth keeping.

Severino was woof last night, but I was at the Baltimore/Texas game when Severino suddenly threw a strike to second base when no one was within 20 feet, so it’s not like it hasn’t happened before.

Considering that T-Ball is a league for kids aged 4-7 I would imagine any 8 year old playing it would be especially embarrassed by a misplay.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, ScGO's said:

Sisco needs ABs to prove he can hit at the MLB level.  His his OBP numbers were interesting last year.  I think he has potential to be an .800 OPS.  If he can prove that this season while catching, we should look to expand his versatility next season.  Could he be a poor man's Zobrist?  Could he handle 3B, 2B, 1B, LF, and C?

I don’t think Zobrist but I definitely see Carlos Santana but with the ability to stick at catcher, third and left. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Anyone we have catching right now is just a placeholder for Rutschman.  

One of these guys could still very well be our second catcher.   Question is, which one?  Or either?

I know that's likely a decision for 2022, but our catchers should be considering this as a season and a half audition to stay on this team once Rutch is up.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Anyone we have catching right now is just a placeholder for Rutschman.  

o

Either that, or until Rick Dempsey makes a comeback.

Last night, I would have loved to have seen Scott McGregor make a one-game comeback and twirl the Yankees into the ground in that fateful 9th inning.

o

I have been a big supporter of Severino, until now. He can be fun to watch, at times. He brings great energy, enthusiasm and above average athleticism to the game. He has a plus accurate arm, and I think he will hit for power and average.

That said, his lackadaisical effort should get him benched. Blocking balls in the dirt is just anticipation and effort. I noticed occasional lapses in effort last year and I thought it could be that he was just banged up or tired from midseason on. But there is no excuse for his poor performance early in 2020. With Hyde and Cossins around him, you have to imagine he is getting quality feedback and coaching. Its hard not to question his maturity and desire to remain a major league catcher at this point.

On 7/30/2020 at 1:14 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Nope, it was just me finding it amusing that so much board ire was spent admonishing one player for his defense when his counterpart, who avoided such criticism in his time here, was performing so poorly.

I guess since you didn't explain the point of you post it didn't have one?

On 7/29/2020 at 10:42 PM, Can_of_corn said:

All the time posters spent whining about Sisco's defense and here we are.

You chose to hijack a thread about Severino in an attempt to lash out at other posters who were "whining" when they correctly stated that Sisco is poor on defense. Indefensible, aggressive attack against people telling the truth. Insulting others just because they don't support your agenda is not a good look. My point was clear to all who read it objectively. 

Severino's poor defensive stats from last season are well documented in this forum. Look it up. Your claim is unsubstantiated.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

You chose to hijack a thread about Severino in an attempt to lash out at other posters who were "whining" when they correctly stated that Sisco is poor on defense. Indefensible, aggressive attack against people telling the truth. Insulting others just because they don't support your agenda is not a good look. My point was clear to all who read it objectively. 

Severino's poor defensive stats from last season are well documented in this forum. Look it up. Your claim is unsubstantiated.

What we have seen with some posters talking about Sisco's defense, has to me, go well beyond saying he is "poor on defense".  I agree that he's a poor defensive catcher.  But to say he isn't a major league catcher is simply false, he's in the majors and his position is catcher.

So yea, if someone continually makes exaggerated claims about his defensive inadequacy I'm going to call it whining. 

• Upvote 1