Doubleheaders this season will be 7-inning games

MurphDogg

1 minute ago, backwardsk said:

Don’t understand the rationale behind this.  I mean, I know they’ll say less time at the ballpark.  But if they have their testing tightened up, there wouldn’t be people in the park that have it.

Cuts down on bullpen use since teams have a smaller potential pool of pitchers to pull from.

1 minute ago, backwardsk said:

Don’t understand the rationale behind this.  I mean, I know they’ll say less time at the ballpark.  But if they have their testing tightened up, there wouldn’t be people in the park that have it.

Saves the pitching. It is actually kinda nice for minor league games. Scheduled 7 inning double headers is probably long term the best way to keep 162 games and add an additional playoff round which is what they want to do.

55 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Saves the pitching. It is actually kinda nice for minor league games. Scheduled 7 inning double headers is probably long term the best way to keep 162 games and add an additional playoff round which is what they want to do.

I would rather reduce the regular season than have 7-inning games moving forward.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I would rather reduce the regular season than have 7-inning games moving forward.

MLB would rather sell that extra round of playoff games though. And the players aren't going to take a salary cut to drop to fewer than 162 games.

1 minute ago, MurphDogg said:

MLB would rather sell that extra round of playoff games though. And the players aren't going to take a salary cut to drop to fewer than 162 games.

Not this year. But in the future, assuming a full season next year... doesn't mater to the players how many games. Their salary is their salary. I wouldn't be against dropping back to 154 for more playoffs. More players and the league will make more $$$ that way anyways. Which IS the bottom line these days, for good or worse...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure, why not at this point?

Are they going to move the 7th-inning stretch to the 5th?

o

No ........ but they are going to start all extra innings with the bases loaded, and give the offense 4 outs.

o