May be the end of the season. Get it while it is here. Manfred.

weams

If the players can’t follow a few simple rules during this extraordinary — and short — season, they don’t deserve to play and we don’t deserve to watch them.

If they’re doing everything by the book and still getting infected, that’s not the players’ fault, that’s the fault of MLB either for making the rules too lax, or for deciding to have a season at all in such a hard-to-control situation.

Seeing reports about the Marlins players’ behavior suggests to me that at least a significant part of it is the fault of the players and/or coaches.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

We don't know.  Odds are good he was busy dropping the ball but maybe he's been with the teams and the union trying to get these players reigned in?  I doubt it but maybe.  I don't think him going out from day one and calling folks out would have been beneficial.

I see how Manfred (or anyone else from MLB) calling out the players right at the outset of the season might not have been helpful. I think what he should have done very soon after the opener -- what a responsible executive who wanted to see the season completed would have done -- was to call Tony Clark, give him a list of some of the improper activity by the players, and tell him that playing out the season depended on much better conduct by the players.

Maybe he did that -- yeah, sure. This is the guy who said four days ago that the Marlin outbreak wasn't a major problem and that he :remained "optimistic that the protocols are strong enough that it will allow us to play even through an outbreak like this and complete our season." Did he really think on Monday that things were going to be OK?

Virtually everything this man says is insincere, foolish, or both. He's way over his head in every aspect of the job that isn't labor negotiation. (I assume, he also was pretty skilled at sucking up to Bud Selig.) 

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

He needs to keep the union on board.  My guess is their was blowback from their end.

The MLBPA has been completely out of touch this entire time. They originally wanted 110 games and to play into December. Manfred hasn't been great during this - but he's had the most goofy, hardheaded union to deal with.

39 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

MLB has 3 stadiums located in one area? 

Can’t compare the two. Plus many more players. 

I agree with this.  The NBA has done an excellent job, but the sport has a lot of built in advantages that baseball doesn’t have.  Not only do the have three courts where they can get 6 games in a day, NBA teams don’t play everyday.  So you can get by with six games a day as opposed to the 15 you need for MLB on a typical day.

3 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

Virtually everything this man says is insincere, foolish, or both. He's way over his head in every aspect of the job that isn't labor negotiation. (I assume, he also was pretty skilled at sucking up to Bud Selig.) 

MLB had a chance to do a bubble and set a policy. Manfred signed on to "teams and players make their own policies." Clearly both sides thought testing would be enough. Now Manfred is throwing the players under the bus. 

15 hours ago, bpilktree said:

They built the rosters for the exact reason if they had people test positive.  Now they are saying it will shut down if we keep getting cases.  The Marlins issue I get but teams are gonna get few guys here and there and they expected that.  They change the goal posts but that seems to be the norm for last few years.

They did it so the top prospects could still be developed.  I don't think they ever seriously anticipated having to field half of a team of these guys or more.  Otherwise, more AA/AAA guys would have been added instead of first round picks from this year's draft.