Richard Bleier Traded to Miami

oriolesacox

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

I added a thread to discuss...rant about it.

Why does it have to be PTBNLs? With Velazquez fine ...but Bleier is a valuable piece imo

Let’s wait to see who we get.   I liked Bleier and agree we shouldn’t just be doing a salary dump (which if my math is good, saves less than $150 k).    I don’t know what they use the PTBNL device for in this environment where the minor leaguers aren’t playing, rosters are expanded etc.   Maybe we’re getting someone on Miami’s 60 but they don’t want to give him up yet due to their circumstances?

I like Bleier, he had some pretty good success here and I wish him nothing but the best going forward. 

That being said, nobody should expect much of a return here.  He's a 33 year old LH middle reliever with a career 4.1 WAR  who posted a 5.37 ERA last season.  I'd be thrilled if the PTBNL is a low minors lottery ticket. 

• Upvote 2

Yea, you have to wait and see what you get here.  If they basically dumped him, I won’t be happy about it.  Not because I think Bleier is good but because if he strung together 2-4 weeks of good outings, he could be more valuable to a true contender.

I would have risked that, for the little money he is being paid, if all we did is dump him.

I tend to believe they got more than a dump type player though.

53 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

His peripherals aren’t great, you have a needy buyer and leverage over them ... this is the best opportunity to trade a guy like Dick Bleier to his hometown team.

Right. And I never thought he was all that. Just what the peripherals show you could see when he pitched. Not great stuff nor overpowering. I thought it was expected last year when he stumbled out of the gate. 

I’m not sad.

4 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Right. And I never thought he was all that. Just what the peripherals show you could see when he pitched. Not great stuff nor overpowering. I thought it was expected last year when he stumbled out of the gate. 

I’m not sad.

I thought Bleier’s stuff and command was objectively worse last year than it had been in prior seasons, especially in the first part of the season before he went back on the DL.   I don’t think he’s anything special, but he’s a decent middle reliever.    

And so for us, the few of us aging baseball addicts who are still following the Orioles in any fashion.....we get no info or nugget or anything from Elias....again, this is the way to provide a quality product to the few people who actually still care anything about your product.  I cancelled MASN here in Virginia because I finally got fed up with having to pay for years for the Angelos blackout area nonsense even though I am a 6 hour drive away from Camden Yards.   And I cancelled MLB.TV because I could only for years use that product if I was away from home which I am not due to the pandemic any longer.   

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Hoping for that, but not expecting it.  

Who else would it be? Wasn't it supposed to be about six games in that callup doesn't cost service time? 

Definitely need another lefty. Scott is a complete mess out there (did he throw a single FB for a strike last night?) and Fry is very questionable. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Who else would it be? Wasn't it supposed to be about six games in that callup doesn't cost service time? 

Definitely need another lefty. Scott is a complete mess out there (did he throw a single FB for a strike last night?) and Fry is very questionable. 

We are past that date, that is why you have seen multiple top prospects called up since Wednesday, most notably Nate Pearson.

12 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

And so for us, the few of us aging baseball addicts who are still following the Orioles in any fashion.....we get no info or nugget or anything from Elias....again, this is the way to provide a quality product to the few people who actually still care anything about your product.  I cancelled MASN here in Virginia because I finally got fed up with having to pay for years for the Angelos blackout area nonsense even though I am a 6 hour drive away from Camden Yards.   And I cancelled MLB.TV because I could only for years use that product if I was away from home which I am not due to the pandemic any longer.   

Look at the blueprint from the Cubs, Astros, Reds and I am sure I am leaving out a few other teams.  Elias from the start has said he is going to do the rebuild right.  He doesn't owe anyone an explanation for trading a 33 year old reliever who had a bloated ERA last year.  He's not going to be a part of the winning team in 2023 onward, so why should it matter?  

For how we did not have a proper farm, development, or analytics system, I will take tanking right now to ensure that those areas are brought up to par with the "good" teams in MLB.  I want a system like the Astros or Dodgers that sustains itself.  I don't want to stink for so long, have 4-5 years of competitive baseball and then be left with a horrible farm so we have to do this all over again.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

We are past that date, that is why you have seen multiple top prospects called up since Wednesday, most notably Nate Pearson.

Madrigal came up yesterday too and was in their starting lineup.  

That one week made all of the difference for their development. 

Edited by ThomasTomasz

1 hour ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Personally, it’s guys like Bleier you should be trading because they are good.

The guy is 33. He’s pitching well. The Orioles can move him for someone else. Someone younger. A person with promise. The Orioles can call up a younger pitcher to replace him. Bad teams can do that. They should do that.

Half of you complain when dudes like Bleier start imploding and the O’s DFA him for absolutely no return and wonder why they didn’t trade him earlier.

Other teams do not want bad pitchers.

His peripherals aren’t great, you have a needy buyer and leverage over them ... this is the best opportunity to trade a guy like Dick Bleier to his hometown team.

Gotta say, I agree with this.  The Marlins are in a tough situation, and one of their top prospects Isan Diaz just opted out of the season.  I want to wait and see the return we get here as well, but even without that, some are overrating Bleier a tad.  Which is fine, we always overrate our own players, especially the few who are good or we have an attachment to  Some advanced metrics do not indicate he should have had the success that ERA showed, and that even works in reverse last year where his ERA was higher than FIP and xFIP.  

He's a 33 year old lefty who is soft-tossing, and doesn't strike out a lot of people.  That doesn't carry a lot of value, especially after a rough 2019,