Lineup is Pretty Good

baltfan

51 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

3B 1966 Brooks Robinson OPS 777 vs 2020 Ruiz 1112 so that's another win for 2020. 

Ok, maybe Ruiz is better than Brooks and Manny, but at least admit that he's no Craig Worthington.  That's where I draw the line.  

o

(AUGUST 7th)

After scoring 1 Run in 23 Innings in the first 3 games of their 4-game series against the Marlins, the Orioles scored 18 Runs in 18 Innings in their next 2 games against the Marlins and the Nationals, respectively.

o

o

(AUGUST 11th)

Heading into yesterdays series finale in Washington, the Orioles led the American League with a .475 Batting Average on 0-0 counts.

2 of their 3 Home Runs in the 8th inning Saturday night came on the 1st pitch.

SOURCE: Roch Kubatko

o

Rio, Sisco, and Santander heating up. Article does not even mention Alberto who is absolutely on fire and Nunez who is mashing even relative to his usual production.

https://www.mlb.com/news/orioles-ride-homers-extend-win-streak-phillies

Team hitting stats: .262 AVG (#2 MLB), .331 OBP (#6 MLB), OPS .797 (#3 MLB). #22 in BB. Huge improvement so far vs last year when we were ranked in the 20's in most categories, and that was with Mancini and Villar! We are only #12 in runs scored but we've played fewer games than most of the teams ahead of us. 

Seems like everyone is improving incrementally, with exception of Ruiz having a real breakout and Davis regressing to even worse than his disastrous 2018 (.150/.434/22 OPS+). Will be an interesting race between Davis OPS and Blackmon's AVG. 

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Aglets said:

Scoring 5 runs per game right now...….2nd in the AL in OPS.   Keep it up boys!    IDK how sustainable a pace this is but I choose to not even care!!!!111 

woot!

Makes me think of the Mariners starting 13-2 last year. If this was a full season, I’d say it’s just a good 20 game stretch. Maybe the only one we’d have. But we’re almost halfway through the season. Every win feels like it means something. Gives us more margin for when the offense inevitably cools down. 

Edited by Bubble Buddy

1 hour ago, Bubble Buddy said:

Makes me think of the Mariners starting 13-2 last year. If this was a full season, I’d say it’s just a good 20 game stretch. Maybe the only one we’d have. But we’re almost halfway through the season. Every win feels like it means something. Gives us more margin for when the offense inevitably cools down. 

With a 60 game season and expanded playoffs, there is very likely a team destined to lose 90 games in a 160 game season making the playoffs when the cutoff is 60 games. On the flip side a team that would have made the playoffs in a normal year is going to miss out with this year's format. 

What impresses me so far is the speed off the bat. These guys are not getting lucky rollers, these balls are getting smoked at 95+ over and over. I’ll be the first to admit that the Nats and Phils have awful bullpens but hey, these were supposed to be 2 contending teams.

• Upvote 1

I don't remember any Oriole team ever with so many .800+ OPS players in a lineup. Okay maybe 1996, with seven including Ripken just in at .807. What a pleasant surprise to see an O's lineup with: Alberto 928, Santander 837, Iglesius 953, Ruiz 938, Nunez 1036, even Smith 875, Severino 1032, and only Hays 510 and Valaika 734 lagging. Plug in Cisco at 1298 and it's really rocking... (leaving Crushed on the bench).

BTW that '96 team was a good guess, ranking tops with 822 in team OPS in Baltimore (the St.L. Browns had 827 in 1922). Before today's 11-4 win the team was tied with the 1998 sluggers and ahead of 1994 and 2004, and those typical starting lineups only feature 3, 6 and 4 players, respectively, with final OPS numbers over 800.

Obviously "final" is a key word here, but I can't remember any previous Oriole offense firing on so many cylinders early, either.

• Upvote 1