Lineup is Pretty Good

baltfan

9 hours ago, SteveA said:

We've scored at least 5 runs in 5 of our 7 games, including games started by Glasnow and Snell.   

I know that the entire season is a SSS, but as a former NY'er, I can definitively state that , "We own dem!"

11 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's certainly not a terrible lineup.  I think that they might be prone to extended slumps and run scoring droughts and there aren't a lot of OBP guys.

It’s pretty terrible if you ask me, 36 runs in 7 games notwithstanding.    It’s pretty much the same lineup that finished 11/15 in runs scored last year, minus its best two hitters.    I’m glad some guys have started hot, but I don’t expect it to continue.    

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

It’s pretty terrible if you ask me, 36 runs in 7 games notwithstanding.    It’s pretty much the same lineup that finished 11/15 in runs scored last year, minus its best two hitters.    I’m glad some guys have started hot, but I don’t expect it to continue.    

Well we're going to have to agree to disagree, Frobito.  5.14 runs per game isn't terrible, it would have ranked us 10th in MLB last year.  And we haven't been facing bad pitchers during this small sample size, either.  

I will grant you that there's more season to go, I don't know if they can maintain a 5.14 per game pace.  

37 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well we're going to have to agree to disagree, Frobito.  5.14 runs per game isn't terrible, it would have ranked us 10th in MLB last year.  And we haven't been facing bad pitchers during this small sample size, either.  

I will grant you that there's more season to go, I don't know if they can maintain a 5.14 per game pace.  

I’m highly confident they won’t.    Enjoying the good start, though.   Immensely.   

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Babypowder said:

Ah, you’ve got to love the annual early season small sample takes. This year we get them for the whole season! 

In a 60 game season who is actually good or bad doesn’t matter all that much. It’s a two month sample. The 2005 team would have won the AL East in a 60 game season. Last years World Series Champs wouldn’t have made the playoffs in a 60 game season.

Those are great examples (2005 O's, 2019 Nats) of how arbitrary the "normal" season is, at 162 games. Whatever length it is, few teams are going to sustain a consistent record throughout. The first half 2005 O's could essentially be considered a different team than that of the second half; same with the 2019 Nats. Yes, the 1997 O's went wire to wire and the 2014 O's also won the division, but that first half 2005 team would have matched up well against them. Or to take the extreme opposite case, any wild card game, just like any regular season game or short series, is nothing but a crapshoot. Yet those fluky wild card victories followed by a fluky playoff stretch (or stretch run in September to get there) can cement a team's status, forever after, as "historic."

21 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

There are some ML hitters and a lot of potential. But to give some perspective, only Hanser Alberto would crack the lineup of the 2014 AL East Champion team.

How do you figure?  The 2014 Orioles only had one player with OPS > 800 (Nelson Cruz).  The current O's have 7. 

Edit:  Amongst qualifed starters at least.  

Edited by GuidoSarducci

34 minutes ago, GuidoSarducci said:

How do you figure?  The 2014 Orioles only had one player with OPS > 800 (Nelson Cruz).  The current O's have 7. 

They've been hitting well so far and it's been fun to watch. 

C Wieters 1B Davis 2B Schoop 3B Machado SS Hardy LF Pearce CF Jones RF Markakis DH Cruz

C Severino 1B Davis 2B Alberto 3B Ruiz SS Iglesias LF Smith Jr. CF Hays RF Santander DH Nunez

Still seems like a resounding 9-0 or 8-1 for 2014 to me.

29 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

They've been hitting well so far and it's been fun to watch. 

C Wieters 1B Davis 2B Schoop 3B Machado SS Hardy LF Pearce CF Jones RF Markakis DH Cruz

C Severino 1B Davis 2B Alberto 3B Ruiz SS Iglesias LF Smith Jr. CF Hays RF Santander DH Nunez

Still seems like a resounding 9-0 or 8-1 for 2014 to me.

C (2014): Wieters only played 26 games in 2014.  Joseph logged 82 games, the rest split between Nick Hundley and Steve Cleveinger.  The highest OPS of that group is .625.  Wieters himself OPS 839.  

C(2020):  both Severino and Sisco OPS'ing over .850 so far.  

I'll call this one of a win for the 2020 Orioles. Severino/Sisco >> Joseph/Hundley/Clevenger.  

1B:  Davis.   Although he did have a down year in 2014 with only a .700 OPS.  2014 Davis >>>> 2020 Davis.   However, its unclear he will get the majority of starts for the rest of the season.  But I'll count this as a win for 2014 Os regardless.  We don't know if/when Mountcastle gets called up.  

2B 2014 Schoop had a terrible year, OPS .598.  Alberto the clear winner hear

SS 2014 Hardy OPS 682 vs 2020 Iglesias 1316.  Clear win for 2020

3B 2014 Machado OPS 755 vs 2020 Ruiz 1112.  Win for 2020

LF 2014 David Lough OPS 694 vs 2020 DSJ 808.  DJ Stewart has more games, but I'd venture he's not going to get much more chances.  I'm gonna call this one for 2020.

CF 2014 Jones OPS 780 vs Hays 300.  Win for 2014 obviously

RF 2014 Markakis OPS 729 vs. Santander 734.  I'll call this one a tie.

DH 2014 Cruz OPS 859 vs. Nunez 955.   I''d venture that Nunez doesn't finish better than 859, so I'll call this one a win for 2014. 

Final score 2020 O's 5, 2014 Os 3, 1 tie.  

On 8/1/2020 at 8:51 PM, baltfan said:

Nunez and Ruiz showing some pop. Alberto is a guy that seems like he is always going to get a hit. Iglesias is Mr. Double.  Hays still looks like he will break out.  No one seems like an automatic out.  I am conflicted because I think we still need to lose, but it’s fun watching guys not being constantly overmatched. 

I'm finding myself really looking forward to games these days. I really like what I've seen from Ruiz, Nunez, Iglesias, and Alberto. 

But Stewart looks like an automatic out to me. 

7 hours ago, GuidoSarducci said:

2014 saw the fewest runs scored in MLB since 1981.  Not quite the same context.  '20 scoring is off (so far) from '19 and is still half a run a game higher than '14.

• Thanks 1