They are who we thought they were!

Moose Milligan

57 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

And those perky Floridians just may be who we thought THEY were, also ........ a bona-fide perennial contender, coming off of back-to-back seasons of 90 or more wins in 2018 and 2019.

o

And yet we swept them, and then got swept by the Marlins. baseball is strange.

• Thanks 1

When Elias/Hyde:

1) Start Chris Davis

2) Keep starting Dwight Smith over Ryan Mountcastle

3) Keep LeBlanc with an ERA over 7.00 in the rotation over Eshelman with and ERA of 3.77.

It makes me wonder if they are trying to win.

But them they did send down Carroll,  Hess and Phillips which are moves the should have made if they are trying to win.

Very mixed messages here.

The O's need to go 7-4 the rest of August to avoid being sellers on August 31st.   Givens looks very attractive and likely to go if the O's don't start winning.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, wildcard said:

When Elias/Hyde:

3) Keep LeBlanc with an ERA over 7.00 in the rotation over Eshelman with and ERA of 3.77.

I agree with the point, but would rather take a look at guys like Akin, Kremer or Zimmerman.

• Upvote 1

When Elias/Hyde:

1) Start Chris Davis

2) Keep starting Dwight Smith over Ryan Mountcastle

But them they did send down Carroll,  Hess and Phillips which are moves the should have made if they are trying to win.

Very mixed messages here.

The O's need to go 7-4 the rest of August to avoid being sellers on August 31st.   Givens looks very attractive and likely to go if the O's don't start winning.

Givens is less desirable ATM than Armstrong, who has done quite well this season. I think he is far more likely to be traded.

Pretty sure Elias will be selling regardless of how the team does in the next 11 days. 

What will be interesting is if any of the returns include guys close to the majors. That might tell us if he thinks the team is closer to be competitive than we thought. Might not know until after the season with the ptbnl stuff.

I think they're sellers no matter what their record is... or more likely they're just "not buyers". It would be silly for Elias to go and give up value to raise our chances at a WS title from 0% to 2%. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

And those perky Floridians just may be who we thought THEY were, also ........ a bona-fide perennial contender, coming off of back-to-back seasons of 90 or more wins in 2018 and 2019.

o

o

The Rays are in 1st place, after completing their first sweep of the Yankees in New York since 2014.

Meanwhile, the Orioles will try to climb back above .500 tonight against the Red Sox.

o

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2020 at 10:28 PM, OFFNY said:

o

o

On 8/20/2020 at 5:44 PM, OFFNY said:

o

The Rays are in 1st place, after completing their first sweep of the Yankees in New York since 2014.

Meanwhile, the Orioles will try to climb back above .500 tonight against the Red Sox.

o

o

The Rays beat the Yankees AGAIN.

They scored 4 runs in 5 innings off of Gerrit Cole.

Tyler Glasnow pitched 6 shutout innings.

The Florida wrecking machine is now 7-1 against the Yankees, and has a 4 and-a-half game lead in the division.

o

33 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

The Florida wrecking machine is now 7-1 against the Yankees, and has a 4 and-a-half game lead in the division.

o

I believe Glasnow took a no hitter into the 6th

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

o

34 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I believe that Glasnow took a no hitter into the 6th.

o

Presuming that the Orioles either don't make the post-season and/or that they get eliminated in the 1st or 2nd round if they do, I wouldn't mind at all seeing Tampa Bay vs. Oakland in the 2020 ALCS ...... and/or of course, my second favorite team (the White Sox.)

o

• 2 weeks later...

o

On July 24th, the Orioles lost their first game of the 2020 season to the lowly Red Sox by a score of 13-2.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BOS/BOS202007240.shtml

At that time, even the most optimistic of Oriole fans may have had a hard time believing that they would be reading a headline with these words almost 3/4 of the way into the season ......

Improved Depth Providing Orioles with Playoff Push

(By Roch Kubatko)

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/09/improved-depth-providing-orioles-with-playoff-push.html

o

26 minutes ago, Philip said:

Last night was very discouraging, I don’t think we were necessarily beat by a better team, but I do think we were beat by ourselves. I have a sad fear that we have “shot our bolt” And we are going to follow the Tige and Mariners into oblivion

Really...they had a guy starting last night that didn't give them any chance of winning going into the game. Once the game started he still didn't give them a chance to win, but they managed to carry it to the wire. I have no expectations of playoffs but to say they've shot their "bolt" is ridiculous. 

• Upvote 1