They are who we thought they were!

Moose Milligan

It's annoying, because I want to win every game 60 season or 600 game season, but nothing in baseball is surprising.  This offense is still boom or bust, like it's been for years, and they're prone to extreme cold streaks in an instant.  On the plus side the pitching was a nice surprise regardless of the opponent.  At the end of the day, my expectations this season were low no matter how many games there are.  Still plenty of time to lower or exceed my expectations.

Who is this team?

The team the hits well?  The team that pitches well?  The team that does both?  Or the team that does neither?

Sounds like a .500 team.    Time to get Mountcastle up here and playing every day.   He is not the answer but he may help.

r/NFL on reddit was talking about Devin Hester yesterday; one of the NFL's greatest moments of the 2010s was Hester breaking Deion Sanders' record of 20 career return TDs in Week 3 of 2014.

Hester, for those still unaware, was so feared for his punt and kick returns that teams simply stopped kicking to him, preferring to just purposely yank the ball out of bounds where no one could touch it. The equivalent of walking Barry Bonds with the bases loaded.

Dennis Green's famous "They are who we though they were" speech was the consequence of Cardinals punter Scott Player unwisely kicking it directly at Hester who, of course, returned the punt for the game winning touchdown and preserved the record of the undefeated and eventually Super Bowl-bound Bears.  Insult added to injury for the Cardinals, considering they had the game in hand; up 23-3 near the conclusion of the third quarter.

19 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Who is this team?

The team the hits well?  The team that pitches well?  The team that does both?  Or the team that does neither?

Sounds like a .500 team.    Time to get Mountcastle up here and playing every day.   He is not the answer but he may help.

This is a team that won 54 games last year and then subtracted two of their better players.  The only way this is a .500 team is if you just round off everything between .300 and .700 to .500.  Even then it's not a sure thing.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Who is this team?

This lineup is below average at basically every position except for Alberto. We still don’t know how good he is really.  

I still have hope for Hays but this is a very weak lineup. Nunez, Severino and Santander aren’t terrible but they are more competent than good. Ruiz has been fun to watch so far, hope he gets healthy. Iglesias will cool off. Davis and LF is like playing with 7 hitters. 

I want Mountcastle as well and would like to see Sisco take at bats away from Davis. That would be your best lineup possible. That is still not a .500 lineup. Not close   

I have been very surprised with the pitching and the shorter season is a benefit to this team. That said there is no real upside in the rotation outside of Means. Cobb at least looks competitive again. They can potentially smoke and mirrors their way through this in a year like this to an extent. That said we are well below average. 

10 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

This lineup is below average at basically every position except for Alberto. We still don’t know how good he is really.  

I still have hope for Hays but this is a very weak lineup. Nunez, Severino and Santander aren’t terrible but they are more competent than good. Ruiz has been fun to watch so far, hope he gets healthy. Iglesias will cool off. Davis and LF is like playing with 7 hitters. 

I want Mountcastle as well and would like to see Sisco take at bats away from Davis. That would be your best lineup possible. That is still not a .500 lineup. Not close   

I have been very surprised with the pitching and the shorter season is a benefit to this team. That said there is no real upside in the rotation outside of Means. Cobb at least looks competitive again. They can potentially smoke and mirrors their way through this in a year like this to an extent. That said we are well below average. 

I am glad you have them figured out because I sure don't.   Seems like offensively when they are hot they are hot and when they are cold they are cold.  Mancini would hit most of the time.  There doesn't seem to be anyone like that on the team right now.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I am glad you have them figured out because I sure don't.   Seems like offensively when they are hot they are hot and when they are cold they are cold.  Mancini would hit most of the time.  There doesn't seem to be anyone like that on the team right now.

It's a lot easier to figure them out if you look at our entire body of knowledge of how the individuals perform instead of mostly ignoring anything that happened before two weeks ago.  We have thousands of games worth of information on the players on the 2020 Orioles.

I predict Davis will opt out within a week. He likes his family too much to risk being around a lot of players at 1B. He is now wearing a mask at 1B and I think it will only take one or two more players that reach first he talks to that test positive for him to opt out. He's made over a 100 million so far and does not need to risk his families health. His demeanor has changed since Boston and there are no smiles currently at bat or in the dugout.

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Nunez, Valaika, Alberto, Severino, Velazquez, Ruiz are all off waivers. That’s 6 position players and 4 starters.

Santander Rule 5. 

Davis is Davis. 

Iglesias is defender first player. 

Hays has upside but is raw. LF has been a debacle. 

If one of the waiver pickups/Santander is a contributor when we turn it around I would be happy. 

11 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Given what Elias has done so far I'm not expecting any of their top four prospects to get time in the majors in 2021.

Then at the very least attempt to sign players with a pulse. Attempting to sign Puig was a good start, at least he's entertaining and has some history of being decent. It's not like signing someone like him is gonna stop us from losing 40-50 games.

I know that the Angelos would like most people to believe that being somewhat active on a good player could sink this teams financials however.

Edited by MountUrCastle