I’ll take that club option at 3 mil

ChuckS

14 hours ago, ChuckS said:

He's worth the three mil for the defense alone. 

I thought we were getting a nothing bat.  He won't keep hitting like this but given how he finished last season, hit in spring training, and has continued hitting into the season, I have some hopes he can provide some better offense than his career line suggests. 

He's 30 and has a .692.  If he was influenced by Votto isn't not apparent, he walked 20 times in 146 games last year.  That's positively Mountcastleian.  I think Votto has had weeks where he walked more.  

He's not a terrible hitter, but I'll be happy if he finishes '20 much over .700.

I remember when Iglesias first came up with the Red Sox he was touted as the next great defensive shortstop.  That never quite worked out, but he's a solid defender.

I do think he's a legitimately good glove and that's a valid resource to provide pitchers.  I'd value that contribution more it it were Akin, Kremer, Baumann but I suppose three starts in there's even a chance he could help Cobb follow in Cashner's footsteps.

To an extent he's a barometer for the Golden Age of shortstops.  He may have been a minor star in Belanger's time.

I remember doing the exercise when we got him - it's something like 25 clubs that have about a 3-win starter there, and along with trailing Gavin Lux, Royce Lewis and a few others, this summer he's probably around MLB's 28th-30th best SS give or take a few places either way.

Come to think of it - we're heading into the high leverage time where the health or lack thereof of the Top 20 might result in something slightly interesting for him becoming possible.  And if not, he is a fair bridge to the '22 Lindor Cohort.

22 hours ago, Philip said:

Yes.

so? 
That doesn’t refute anything I said.

The decision to pick up his option or not will not be changed by a ten game stretch. But it’s far better to start hot than cold.

Remember last year Sucre started blazing, and was gone within a month.

Dude, read the post you responded to.