ESPN article: Yankees fall from grace due to draft neglect

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=olney_buster&id=3589629

I actually don't really agree with it (see below) but I thought some may enjoy reading it anyway.

This seems like it was written since the Yankees missed the playoffs this year (see caption under Jeter pic).

Yet, they only report their statistical results from 1997-2005. It's curious that they don't include 2006 and 2007. It's probably because they don't want to include someone like Joba Chamberlain, which would just skew their result that they want to demonstrate, which is that their minors has been amongst the worst in the majors. And players from the intrenational market like Alfonso Soriano, Melky Cabrera and Robinson Cano are also not included, probably for the same reason. (After all, signing foreign undrafted free agents is another way to supplement your minor league system.)

Also, it seems that of all the players drafted with the picks that the Yankees lost for the signing of players such as Damon or Giambi, very few made an impact in the majors. Joe Blanton seems to be the best of the bunch.

Finally, I have usually read that the Yankees minor league system is not currently that bad. (Don't get me wrong, I wish that it was, but I just don't think that's the case.)

Seems like a specious argument if you ask me.

(Sorry if this needed to be posted to the mlb forum instead.)

I haven't read the article, but I disagree with all of your comments on it except for the "was only written because the Yanks missed the playoffs this year" take.

You usually don't include the most recent drafts when talking about a team's recent draft success, because only a very, very small percentage of players reach the majors within two years or being drafted. That's why '06 and '07 are left out, not some "ignore Joba conspiracy".

And pointing out the success or lack thereof of the exact players taken with the picks they've lost due to FA compensation is flawed logic as well. Just because another team screwed up those picks doesn't mean they weren't valuable commodities. Also, the Yankees have more often than not gained picks because of FA compensation, rather than lose them (get 2 picks for losing a FA, only lose 1 for signing a FA), so they've had more picks than most teams and still not developed a ton of talent.

I don't think the Yankees draft and scouting system has been completely inept, they've poured a lot of money into it and have had some bad luck recently with legit stud prospects not working out immediately in the majors and the Yankees not really being in position to let them work things out at the MLB level (specifically Hughes and Kennedy). They did seem to ignore the farm system for several years following their title runs, but are seemingly focusing more on it recently.

Archived