Roch on the OF situation

Frobby

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/09/crowded-outfield-a-pleasant-problem-for-orioles-in-2021.html

I agree this is going to be an interesting story to follow next year.    Santander, Mountcastle, Hays, Stewart, Mullins.    Diaz and McKenna trying to work their way up.     Hopefully, Mancini healthy and available to play OF if needed but instead playing 1B/DH where he’s better suited.    Could be a lot of fighting for playing time.    

So far this year:

Santander 165 PA, .890 OPS, 1.3 rWAR

Mullins 97 PA, .743 OPS, 0.6 rWAR

Hays 77 PA, .519 OPS, -0.2 rWAR

Mountcastle 74 PA, 1.004 OPS, 0.9 rWAR

Stewart 51 PA, 1.275 OPS, 0.8 rWAR

Still enough time to spread another 200-250 PA among the latter four this season, depending on how the DH slot gets used.    You could get all four into the 110+ PA range if you tried (and Hays returns soon enough).     

• Upvote 1

You failed to mention defense from above. 

The problem you are facing in RF is the neither Santander or Stewart have much range. I thought that Santander looked shaky in the OF many plays this year even though he recorded outs (always having to reach or extend his arm to make catches). Stewart misplayed the ball off the palm of his glove the other day. Is here more of a DH type or a guy where you consider a move to 1B?

Mullins has defensive value and has potential UBER value if he proves he can hit and have a high OBP over the course of a season. I thought he might stop switch hitting at some point because he’s just not good at it based on his minor league splits. 
Hays can’t be counted on to stay healthy. 

Personally my starting OF next year is Hayes, Mancini, and Mountcastle. I would use 1B and DH to make room and at bats for Stewart and Santander

Hoping Davis retires and if he refuses you cut him.

The player I hope to trade for a 3B is Núñez whom I think is a poor fielder.

Also I trade or release Ruiz as he’s a AAAA ball player 

I see Mullins as a useful fourth outfielder or possibly in a platoon with Hays if he can’t get it together offensively.

Still seems like there is not going to be enough playing time for all of our outfielders. Especially with Diaz in the wings.

Could rotate them through DH/1B but we are already at capacity there and could have Mancini back next season. 

Seems a trade would be in order. I would look at moving Santander or Stewart while their value is high for a young pitcher or infielder. 

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The problem in RF is solved by promoting Diaz.

Unless Mullins steals Little Yaz's Bag of Mojo TM he's not going to ever have UBER value.  He's a fringe player.

Do you really view RF as a problem? Santander has been pretty solid defensively. 

17 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Personally my starting OF next year is Hayes, Mancini, and Mountcastle. I would use 1B and DH to make room and at bats for Stewart and Santander.

There is no universe where Mancini is a better defensive OF than Santander.    I have no idea what you’re watching.   

I will grant you this, BB-ref and Fangraphs vary widely on Santander’s defense this year.    BB-ref has him as a big plus, Fangraphs has him as a big minus.    But they both agree Mancini is very bad.   And Statcast has Santander in the 75th percentile in outs above average.    Give me Santander over Mancini in the OF all day every day.  

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mountcastle’s defensive problems are mounting. And they aren't secret. If he’s the best we have for LF, fine, but he’s going to have to keep hitting really well to compensate. Stewart’s defense isn’t any better. Santander is a better RF.

Next year, Davis, Nunez and Ruiz go away, Santander and Hays, and MC in left( if we must) Mancini and Stewart switch between DH/First, and 4rth OF is TBA. I agree that Mullins is just a stopgap.

Edited by Philip

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

To me, Mullins is still a non factor. 

Have no idea what you have in Hays.

Diaz probably starts in AAA next year but should be up quickly.

I would look to deal Santander.  

You need a third baseman, use some OF depth to acquire one.

I'm not optimistic on a return of Trey Mancini.  Hopeful, but not optimistic. 

• Upvote 1