Manfred on Mad Dog radio

eddie83

If mods want to move to MLB section I understand but wanted as many people to see it as possible. Manfred is such a hot topic. 

He was just on SiriusXM with Chris Russo for about half hour. 

-Talked covid, social justice a little bit. Nothing earth shattering. Did say they were a little slow with social justice comments but wanted to make sure it was correct - paraphrasing 

-On criticisms he doesn’t love baseball. Said he loves baseball. Went in 1968 Yankee Stadium as a fan. Grew up with cable watching Yankees. 

-Not a fan 16 teams playoffs. Purely a 2020 issue. 12-14 playoff teams if we do it. 

-No Decision on DH National league. Seems to want to leave up to NL teams.

-Extra inning rule has a chance. Players like it.

-Less than 9 innings for DH tougher one. Not sure whether it has life. Sounds like that isn’t happening. 

-Not appropriate to comment on Mets new owner. Wasn’t a criticism just not appropriate. Did say amount for team speaks to health of sport. 

-TBS new Tv deal by 2023 will be 50 years going back to Braves. They will have Tuesday TV window. Good for our game. 3.7B deal

-Negotiations with ESPN hopeful continue relationship.

-Cash loss will approach over 3B this year.

-Different without fans hope next year can.

I wish Chris had asked him about draft but he did not.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Cash loss of 3B?

He means MLB revenue will be 3B less right? 

Don’t think so.    Revenue must be down by a lot more than 3B.   Have a look at my thread on last year’s Forbes numbers.    The average team has gate revenues of $94 mm — that’s $2.82 bb lost right there.    Then consider that local TV revenues (per another Forbes article, $2.3 bb) are probably down proportionally to the number of games — that’s another $1.4 bb down.  Then there’s the National TV revenue - whatever portion of that relates to the regular season probably reduced proportionally.   So it’s got to be at least a $5 B revenue loss for MLB overall, maybe more.    Not sure if it translates to a $3 BB loss, though. MLB had net income of $40 mm per team of $1.2 B in 2018.    Subtract $5 BB lost revenue but add in $3 B in payroll deductions and you’re only $800 mm in the hole.    I’m sure there are other revenue and cost reductions that I haven’t mentioned that would move the needle from there, but it seems unlikely it would swing $2.2 B lower than what I calculated here .

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1