Tony La Russa...?

Moose Milligan

On 10/16/2020 at 3:00 PM, Frobby said:

Hmmm, why would you be asking me that, you young whippersnapper?

I am forever watching people on TV who I assume are older than me, only to find out they’re 5/10 years younger.   That’s not because I look young, it’s because I don’t really stop to notice how old I look.   And when I do, it’s depressing.  But at least I have kind eyes.    

They are kind

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

If advertisers started applying pressure, that might work. Of course, it might not work.

o

Whatever decision that the White Sox make in regard to LaRussa's managerial position, you can always point to this post as being prophetic. ) B|

o

On 11/10/2020 at 2:53 PM, Can_of_corn said:

It just keeps getting better.

This is going to be just like when Bill Veeck brought Paul Richards out of a 15-year-long retirement to manage the White Sox in '76.  As a younger man Richards was brilliant, but he apparently let everyone know he was brilliant.  By the mid-70s he'd been out of the game forever, he was 67, things passed him by.  There are stories of him doing weird stuff like showing up in the press box to grab food set out for the writers before the game, something that maybe was okay in 1955, but not so much in '76.  I'm sure he said things that were fine in the 50s, but not fine by the 70s.  He's the guy who's responsible for Goose Gossage's one sore thumb season where he went 9-17 with a 91 ERA+ as a starter in the middle of a long string of dominant years as a reliever.

I guess LaRussa could stay out of the way and let the Sox get by on their talent.  But that so much doesn't seem like what he'll do.  I'm sticking with he'll manage the heck out of the team like he half remembers 1990 worked.

• Upvote 1

There may be reasons not to hire Tony La Russa, but a DWI from back in February is not one of them. It is completely ridiculous to talk about some thing like a DWI as reasons for not hiring somebody. I wouldn’t have hired him but I wouldn’t have hired Hinch either.

But all of this reaction to a DWI is silly. 

20 minutes ago, Philip said:

There may be reasons not to hire Tony La Russa, but a DWI from back in February is not one of them. It is completely ridiculous to talk about some thing like a DWI as reasons for not hiring somebody. I wouldn’t have hired him but I wouldn’t have hired Hinch either.

I think a DUI, especially a second DUI is plenty of reason not to hire someone.

Baseball has a recent history of fatal accidents with players and former players being impaired and operating a vehicle.

The man clearly showed a lack of self control and judgement, thinks I would want a manager to have in abundance

By hiring him after he's been charged it's condoning his actions.

• Upvote 1

On 11/14/2020 at 10:46 AM, Philip said:

I would likely be fired for the same offense, especially a 2nd offense.  It doesn't look good for a team to hire someone with multiple DUIs on their record.  This isn't 1980, although the Sox' actions here make it seem like they think it is.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I would likely be fired for the same offense, especially a 2nd offense.  It doesn't look good for a team to hire someone with multiple DUIs on their record.  This isn't 1980, although the Sox' actions here make it seem like they think it is.

I don’t think firing someone for a DUI is reasonable, unless-possibly-the job involves driving.

That he said stupid things when he was arrested kind of goes with the territory, but he didn’t say, for instance, the kind of things that Delmon Young said when he was arrested for DUI.

If I were fired from my job for an off-site, off-duty DUI, I would sue up and down the block.

39 minutes ago, Philip said:

I don’t think firing someone for a DUI is reasonable, unless-possibly-the job involves driving.

That he said stupid things when he was arrested kind of goes with the territory, but he didn’t say, for instance, the kind of things that Delmon Young said when he was arrested for DUI.

If I were fired from my job for an off-site, off-duty DUI, I would sue up and down the block.

Interesting.  So criminal records don't matter to you?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Philip said:

No driving, but a security clearance.  Without that I can't do my job.  Hard to get or keep a clearance with any kind of a criminal record.  Ending a long, successful, reasonably well-paid career in shame is an excellent incentive to not get a DUI.