Orioles make several moves

Legend_Of_Joey

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

But if they are as good as Richie Martin they are protected and would not pass through waivers.   I don't think we see good, young, cheap SS with potential pass through waivers.  If you think there are some available....name one.

Well, you are making this post as if Martin is good.  

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, you are making this post as if Martin is good.  

Martin will surprise some in 2021. He made a lot of progress last off season. Got much stronger and smoother out his swing mechanics. He may have made the team in the Spring. We’ll see, but I keep him. 

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Martin has the potential to be good.  He is not good yet.  That is why Elias wanted to sent him to AAA.

I was actually hoping that he would make the team in the spring, I really like him, even though I am suggesting that is only a replacement level player and easily replaced. It is my hope that he wins the job next spring, but I hope it is as back up, because I really hope we re-sign Iglesias

16 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

Martin will surprise some in 2021. He made a lot of progress last off season. Got much stronger and smoother out his swing mechanics. He may have made the team in the Spring. We’ll see, but I keep him. 

Sure, you can keep him but it’s unlikely he would get claimed.

There are certainly other players I cut before him but it’s highly unlikely he ever becomes anything.

16 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

It would be unusual for a someone with a .581 MLB OPS and negative fielding metrics at the age of 26 to become a good player.  But I guess we'll see.

29 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Martin hit for a 581 OPS straight out of AA at 24 years old.

You make it sound like 24 years old is young for a major league debut.   It isn’t.   It’s average.

My biggest disappointment with Martin was that his defense wasn’t plus.    That’s what was advertised.    He was well below average statistically, and even if there’s some doubt about those numbers, he needs to be a strong plus to make up for a weak bat.    I didn’t see it.   

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You make it sound like 24 years old is young for a major league debut.   It isn’t.   It’s average.

My biggest disappointment with Martin was that his defense wasn’t plus.    That’s what was advertised.    He was well below average statistically, and even if there’s some doubt about those numbers, he needs to be a strong plus to make up for a weak bat.    I didn’t see it.   

24 is young enough to still have time to improve.

In 2019 Martin was not a finished product.   He needed to improve which is why Elias said he would start at AAA last year.  And probably to begin this season.