Fangraphs top 50 FA

Sports Guy

On 10/30/2020 at 1:18 PM, DrungoHazewood said:

Is it just me, or is this an exceptionally weak class?  The #8 on the whole list is a KBO import that we're not even sure is going to translate to a MLB player. Kevin Gausman is #14, 60 innings removed from a 5.72 ERA in 2019.

During the past year or so there was an uptick in younger players signing contract extensions, due to uncertainty around a new labor agreement coming up. Not sure how many guys that impacts as far as who was going to initially be free agents however 

On 11/1/2020 at 9:42 AM, ScGO's said:

50. Chris Archer, SP, Age 32

Article suggests he might be had on a minor league deal as he is coming back from surgery.  Probably no better place to compete for a pitching spot than in Baltimore.  low risk/high reward potential.  Trade chip if he can turn it around.

I like the Archer idea.  I know anything do with shoulders for a pitcher is risky, but if it would be a Milb deal, why not?  He was a fun pitcher to watch (when he wasn't facing the O's). 

4 hours ago, jamalshw said:

This isn't a bad list. I don't have a problem with tiring kicking on these guys, but I don't expect any of them to be honest. I wouldn't mind signing Ray is the Orioles brass think there is something they can fix. I also don't mind a gamble on Archer if there's a good prognosis on the surgery and he's really available on a minors deal.

I like he idea of Wong or Hernandez up the middle with Iglesias. And while I like Simmons, i think he's going to be too expensive in a weak market. I also expect us to pass on Kim.

Ultimately, I wouldn't be surprised if the Orioles don't sign any free agents to Major League deals.

Simmons got a QO, I don't see us giving up a draft pick for a free agent.

Archer has thoracic outlet (aka compartment) syndrome.   I'd take a guy with 2 Tommy John's under his belt before I'd touch anyone who had compartment syndrome,  It's a career killer.