Potential bidders lining up, no indication ownership willing to sell

eddie83

12 minutes ago, Ripken said:

It's not the stadium, it's the city.  Baltimore has some serious problems.

Well I don’t live in Baltimore and I’ve never been there, but I don’t doubt that it has problems, but thinking of cities with problems, New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, have huge problems, financial social, environmental. Moe Sizlak compare Detroit to “mad max world“ Baltimore can’t possibly be worse off than they are, and yet they all have successful baseball teams.

7 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why do folks think Ripken would be an asset?

Has he done that much with his minor league teams that indicate he'd be a good owner?

I'm asking out of honest curiosity.  Is it just what he did as a player that is influencing people?

I just think he adds an Oriole flavor to it. I don't know if he really adds much else as a business man of anything. It's a valid  question though.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I know nothing about Biscotti’s politics and I don’t follow the Ravens.    But I’m way more concerned with whether the owner can build a winning franchise than what his/her politics are.   

I 100% agree as long as he doesn't make his politics part of the team. He can have any politics he wants, put I don't want to see the Orioles putting out officials statements demanding another state take the action they feel is right with nothing more than anecdotal evidence to support their points. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I 100% agree as long as he doesn't make his politics part of the team. He can have any politics he wants, put I don't want to see the Orioles putting out officials statements demanding another state take the action they feel is right with nothing more than anecdotal evidence to support their points. 

Honestly, I just don’t care much.   I have my own political views and I don’t take my cues from what the official positions of my sports teams are (if any) or what the athletes think or say on the topic.   I watch and follow sports to have a distraction from the stresses of my own life and more serious news.   I can see why it bothers you when politics invades that space, but I just ignore it, for the most part.    

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Does Ripken really have the dough to be 1/2 owner of a sale that includes MASN? I can’t see how any ownership change would not include MASN. 

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180807005468/en/LionTree-Announces-Minority-Investment-Ripken-Baseball

Ripken Baseball's already done some cozying up with more substantial Wall Street types.  I am guessing he himself has enough skin to get into the game as a little bit more than a brand ambassador, and the billionaires will give him some tiebreaker value and hope to have him in their groups when it comes to it.

Along with the lease, the Sun story's relatively detailed observations about Capital Gains v. Inheritance were also something I noticed.

10 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180807005468/en/LionTree-Announces-Minority-Investment-Ripken-Baseball

Ripken Baseball's already done some cozying up with more substantial Wall Street types.  I am guessing he himself has enough skin to get into the game as a little bit more than a brand ambassador, and the billionaires will give him some tiebreaker value and hope to have him in their groups when it comes to it.

Along with the lease, the Sun story's relatively detailed observations about Capital Gains v. Inheritance were also something I noticed.

Could be sort of a rush to get a sale through before inheritance taxes could be potentially raised with new political leadership. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/30/2020 at 8:40 PM, Frobby said:

I know nothing about Biscotti’s politics and I don’t follow the Ravens.    But I’m way more concerned with whether the owner can build a winning franchise than what his/her politics are.   

Yes... I’m way more concerned about an ownership group that can build a winner. 

moderators: Edited to take away politics and attack other poster

On 10/30/2020 at 3:16 PM, Philip said:

I was wondering who owned Camden yards? I thought it was the team, but I guess the city of Baltimore owns it? I don’t care who owns the team, but I don’t want them to leave Baltimore. I think it would be horrible, as well as being a complete surrender to the nationals, which would really get my goat.

I believe Maryland owns stadium.

• Thanks 1

On 10/31/2020 at 9:15 AM, OrioleDog said:

This makes some sense. The only thing is I would imagine the team would go to his wife and they wouldn't have to worry about inheritance taxes unless she passed as well.