Salary Arbitration makes O's infield uncertain

wildcard

6 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Mullins isn’t good.  Please stop talking about him like playing him a lot is a good idea.

I don’t care what Hyde said publicly.  Every manager says stuff like that.  It’s meaningless talk.

Mullins plays legitimately good CF defense.    The arm is subpar but his range is upper tier and he catches whatever he can reach.   For me he’s a nice 4th/5th OF to have around to play late inning defense, pinch run, and start a bit vs. RHP.

His bat is spotty, but I’ve seen worse in a plus defensive CF.    Steamer and Marcel project him at .693/.694 OPS which seems like a good projection to me, though he might do a bit better if they keep him away from LHP better.  

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Mullins plays legitimately good CF defense.    The arm is subpar but his range is upper tier and he catches whatever he can reach.   For me he’s a nice 4th/5th OF to have around to play late inning defense, pinch run, and start a bit vs. RHP.

His bat is spotty, but I’ve seen worse in a plus defensive CF.    Steamer and Marcel project him at .693/.694 OPS which seems like a good projection to me, though he might do a bit better if they keep him away from LHP better.  

I think his defense is overrated...or, at the very least, he wasn’t that great defensively prior to his SSS this year.

Maybe something clicked and he has improved but I’m not buying that it’s upper tier yet.

On 11/24/2020 at 8:45 AM, Frobby said:

I cannot imagine how Cot’s projects Sanchez at $4 mm.   We’re talking about a guy who was non-tendered in 2019, was signed to a minor league deal by the Giants and later released, then was signed to a minor league contract by the White Sox and released again.    If the O’s offer him any kind of major league deal he should jump at it.

And, he signed for $1 mm.    Not surprised.   

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I think his defense is overrated...or, at the very least, he wasn’t that great defensively prior to his SSS this year.

Maybe something clicked and he has improved but I’m not buying that it’s upper tier yet.

It’s funny how these threads get so off-topic at times.    How did we get to talking about Mullins in a thread that is entitled “Salary Arbitration makes O's infield uncertain?”   Mullins is neither arbitration eligible nor an infielder.

Anyways, I’ve seen Mullins play a number of times in spring training plus on TV for the Orioles.   Maybe a few times live at OPACY.    I really like what I’ve seen defensively, his bunting and his baserunning.   His defensive numbers have been good the last two years, but beyond those SSS numbers, he easily passes the eye test for me.    

His bat is what puzzles me.   When he’s hot he looks like a very credible major leaguer.   When he’s not, he looks completely helpless.    I’m hoping that the fact that he was able to overcome a very slow start and put together a decent short season will allow him to relax a bit next year and just play his game rather than pressing.   

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s funny how these threads get so off-topic at times.    How did we get to talking about Mullins in a thread that is entitled “Salary Arbitration makes O's infield uncertain?”   Mullins is neither arbitration eligible nor an infielder.

Anyways, I’ve seen Mullins play a number of times in spring training plus on TV for the Orioles.   Maybe a few times live at OPACY.    I really like what I’ve seen defensively, his bunting and his baserunning.   His defensive numbers have been good the last two years, but beyond those SSS numbers, he easily passes the eye test for me.    

His bat is what puzzles me.   When he’s hot he looks like a very credible major leaguer.   When he’s not, he looks completely helpless.    I’m hoping that the fact that he was able to overcome a very slow start and put together a decent short season will allow him to relax a bit next year and just play his game rather than pressing.   

Amazing with all the tools, experience, and athleticism... so much of this game is still between the ears

For individual players and for teams.

Amazing how many can't miss guys never put it together...

and how many perpetual journeymen figure it out when they're 29

7 minutes ago, owknows said:

Amazing with all the tools, experience, and athleticism... so much of this game is still between the ears

For individual players and for teams.

Amazing how many can't miss guys never put it together...

and how many perpetual journeymen figure it out when they're 29

It’s one of several reasons why baseball is my favorite sport.    So many interesting individual stories to follow, in a way you really can’t follow in any other sport.    

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s one of several reasons why baseball is my favorite sport.    So many interesting individual stories to follow, in a way you really can’t follow in any other sport.    

It also appeals to my underdog bias...

Baseball is one of the few sports where the not-particularly athletic (in relative terms) can still be highly skilled and among the sport's top performers

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I like Baseball Savant OAA the best.   But I do look at all of the advanced metrics.

I don’t think I have ever really spent much, if any, time on that site. I see you guys citing it a lot.  I will have to take a look.  I take all of these defensive stats with a certain grain of salt.

11 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t think I have ever really spent much, if any, time on that site. I see you guys citing it a lot.  I will have to take a look.  I take all of these defensive stats with a certain grain of salt.

It’s a fun site, lots of good information there you can’t get elsewhere.   

• Upvote 1