Hanser Alberto has been non-tendered

SteveA

9 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Lol...can I please hear from people how this ownership group isn’t being cheap?

BTw, I don’t really care that Alberto is being non tendered but they essentially just got rid of 3 relatively productive players that were going to make a total of about 8M between them...pennies on the dollar and they are all too expensive for them?

There needs to be consideration for playing 2020 with no fans, and the assumption that at least part of 2021 will be played with no fans.  I'm guessing advertisers and other revenue sources have worked out concessions for shortened schedules and games with no spectators.  You can argue about how cheap they need to be, but revenue has gone down and a lot.

• Upvote 1

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

There needs to be consideration for playing 2020 with no fans, and the assumption that at least part of 2021 will be played with no fans.  I'm guessing advertisers and other revenue sources have worked out concessions for shortened schedules and games with no spectators.  You can argue about how cheap they need to be, but revenue has gone down and a lot.

I am taking that into consideration...but that doesn’t mean you have to be THiS cheap.  The other day, some argued on here that the Orioles save money now and will spend it later.  Now, I think that’s absurd but if that were the case, the Os made a lot of money prior to 2020, so why aren’t they spending that profit now?

Getting away from that since it’s not real, what is real is that they make quite a bit off of National TV deals and MASN.  They, like every other team, took a hit in 2020.  But, like every other team, they are still a money making business and the value of the team is in the billions and they paid 173M.  

In other words, they have the money to spend if they want to.  They just don’t want to.

I don't like this move. I think Alberto would have given a lot of stability to the middle infield picture, especially with Iglesias gone too.

In his two years with Baltimore, Alberto had a .735 OPS, .322 OBP, a 3.4 WAR, and a 0.6 dWAR.

Sanchez is a career .660 OPS hitter, who actually has a similar dWAR to Alberto over the past two seasons (1.0 dWAR).  Not saying they're equal defensively, but it would have been nice to have both of them in the fold.

I've been hoping for a long time that the O's were going to be around .500 in 2021, then shoot for a wild card spot by 2022... So far this offseason, it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

1 minute ago, TommyPickles said:

I don't like this move. I think Alberto would have given a lot of stability to the middle infield picture, especially with Iglesias gone too.

In his two years with Baltimore, Alberto had a .735 OPS, .322 OBP, a 3.4 WAR, and a 0.6 dWAR.

Sanchez is a career .660 OPS hitter, who actually has a similar dWAR to Alberto over the past two seasons (1.0 dWAR).  Not saying they're equal defensively, but it would have been nice to have both of them in the fold.

I've been hoping for a long time that the O's were going to be around .500 in 2021, then shoot for a wild card spot by 2022... So far this offseason, it doesn't look this way.

I think they'd have kept him if he could hit reasonably well against righties.  

Just now, TommyPickles said:

I feel you, but in the last full-length season, Yolmer Sanchez had a .606 OPS against righties in over 400 PAs...

Yeah, it's bad and that wasn't a defense of Sanchez's weak bat.  I'm assuming that Elias isn't done yet, or he values Sanchez's glove a whole lot more than Alberto which is a bit puzzling but whatever.

I liked Alberto, too.  Fun player.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

In other words, you're taking into into consideration before totally disregarding it.  Got it.  lol

I remember when the O's had a higher payroll than the Yankees and afterwards one of the worst teams money could buy.  They spent on payroll.  They just ran the organization horribly.   Now they are doing things in a much, much better way.  I can stand the pain.  Keep creating depth in the system.  Elias has a plan.  I can wait.

No, I’m taking into consideration.  I’m not calling for them to spend over 100M on the payroll or anything like that.

I am calling for them to not be as cheap as they are being.