Where will Tony place Garrett Stallings on the Top 30?

wildcard

7 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Some blasts from the past. thanks Frobby. I'll have to see if I can find some stuff on old hard drives and maybe post some others.

As for me, I've been doing the top prospects lists since that end off 1996, but the very early lists were done completely off stats and with me knowing very little at the time about age vs level vs league dynamics (If i remember right, I have Mike Berry pretty high based off his High Desert year haha).

It's interesting to look over these lists and know how I've learned and improved as an evaluator. I will say in between 2000 and 2003, I was seeing 50-70 games a year between Bowie, Frederick, Delmarva and Bluefield a few years. I was one of the few people doing player evaluations outside of BA and maybe John Sickels back then. 

That was when I knew every manager and coach had direct access to many scouts in the system and some out of the system. It's too bad there wasn't much talent back then, Maybe I should go back and do a revised top ten with some thoughts on guys and what happened tp those that didn't make it to the majors and even some that did? 

By the way, I will post more on this in a new thread over the weekend, but I came across a website that tracks how many players and how much rWAR every franchise’s farm system produced in a given year.   I won’t get into details here, but generally at any given time the O’s farm system has included between 25 and 36 players who eventually played in the majors.    So, it would be conceivable to pick a top 30 that was entirely populated of players who reached the majors.    There’s your new benchmark, Tony!

• Upvote 4

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=stalli000gar

I'd learned he was a Josh Towers/Josh Tomlin strike-thrower type from the FG story, but was taken aback by how few strikeouts his Freshman/Sophomore year - that's some Ballard stuff.

He made quite a leap Junior year, and was also co-Garrett on the Volunteers with Garrett Crochet.  Our guy beat the White Sox guy by about a run of ERA both years they were teammates.

5 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=stalli000gar

I'd learned he was a Josh Towers/Josh Tomlin strike-thrower type from the FG story, but was taken aback by how few strikeouts his Freshman/Sophomore year - that's some Ballard stuff.

He made quite a leap Junior year, and was also co-Garrett on the Volunteers with Garrett Crochet.  Our guy beat the White Sox guy by about a run of ERA both years they were teammates.

I wonder if he had a velocity spike his junior year and if that would make it less likely for him to have untapped velocity?

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wonder if he had a velocity spike his junior year and if that would make it less likely for him to have untapped velocity?

He fits the Smith/Kjerstad mold of SEC guys steadily improving (Growth Mindset?), even if some of that is demonstrated in small sample sizes.   Smith did backup his Junior Year rise up draft boards with his great 2019 for the Mets.  I am imagining entering Junior year Stallings was not a 5th or 25th round profile.   He's one more piece for the box of chocolates we'll get to open in the spring.

• Upvote 1

https://halohangout.com/2020/07/13/angels-garrett-stallings-summer-camp/

An Angels fansite report when he later got to their 60 this summer cites a curve as the Junior year difference maker.

Their source for that this campus story https://247sports.com/college/tennessee/Article/Tennessee-Vols-Baseball-Vols-Garrett-Stallings-selected-in-fifth-round-of-MLB-Draft-132589216/ also has the details he was their 2019 Friday night guy even with Crochet on the team.

His Perfect Game blurb from high school times mentioned three-quarters to over the top arm angle, gee whiz.

Who knows if he could have had Kevin Smith's 2019 in parallel universe 2020?   SEC trade imports links them, but Smith actually doing it including a little AA success is a big credit in his favor for the moment.

On 12/4/2020 at 12:57 PM, BohKnowsBmore said:

Can you introduce me to Joy Harmon (1967 Joy Harmon, preferably)?

I had forgotten who she was and did some research and discovered she was that woman in Cool Hand Luke.  I hope that I never forget that scene.

harmon-cool-s-13.jpg

• Upvote 1