Free Agent Starters

weams

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why would he agree?

I think if you pay him well enough for that second year, he would strongly consider it.  There's a decent chance that the Archer we've seen on the Pirates over the last few years is what he has become, and he would secure two years of salary when perhaps, he'd be out of baseball next year.

1 hour ago, weams said:

McHugh hasn't pitched more than 80 innings since 2016 .... He's a big no!

Chatwood hasn't thrown more than 100 innings since 2017

Cahill hasn't thrown more than since 2013.

We cant be serious .... Can we sign 2 for one contract and have them take up 1 roster spot?

Talk about dredging the bottom!

12 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

We cant be serious .... Can we sign 2 for one contract and have them take up 1 roster spot?

I suspect they are minor league deals.

21 minutes ago, weams said:

I suspect they are minor league deals.

Who cares Weams! They would have to be added to the 40 and clog up a roster spot. None have any value as they cant be expected to hold up for more than 100 innings to get you to the trade deadline. At that point the wheels are falling off! Any of these signings are just plain dumb!

35 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Who cares Weams! They would have to be added to the 40 and clog up a roster spot. None have any value as they cant be expected to hold up for more than 100 innings to get you to the trade deadline. At that point the wheels are falling off! Any of these signings are just plain dumb!

I just finished watching the MASN Sig Mejdal interview. They also had Alex Fast on. He said, besides ME's familiarity with McHugh, he's a guy who could get 8-10 starts to begin the year, then if you have one of our "cavalry" of starters you want to bring up midseason, McHugh has also had some success out of the pen. You could just switch him there to free up a rotation spot.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

All you get if you dredge the top is flotsam.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, scOtt said:

I don't think the $$$ is as important as who you could get to sign a MiL deal. That would be ideal.

And of course caveat... $$$ will be a premium factor this year with ALL the teams crying poor after last season and the dicey prospects for the 2021 season...