Orioles Select Tyler Wells, RHP (Twins)

weams

Director of Pro Scouting Mike Snyder:

“Tyler Wells is an interesting case. There are some similarities to Sceroler in that we’re drawn to the full assortment of weapons he has in his bag, both with lefties and with righties. He’s a 6-8 monster. He’s a starter who works all four quadrants of the zone with the fastball. He features two interesting breaking balls and a plus-changeup. He executes them well and throws them for strikes.

“For him, he missed the 2019 season. He had elbow reconstruction in May of 2019, so 2020 would have been largely a lost season for him anyway and in that respect the shutdown probably wasn’t as detrimental to him as it might have been for the development of some other players. So with both these guys, we’re excited for the chance just to acquire two starting pitchers who feature an impressive combination of bat-missing ability and a proclivity for throwing strikes.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/12/orioles-select-two-pitchers-and-lose-two-in-rule-5-draft.html

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

If either of these guys turn into an ML starter, even a backend one (not likely), this will have been worth Pop and Fenter. I'm higher than most on Pop, but I doubt it's a foregone conclusion he spends the season with the Diamondbacks. IIRC, they're contenders right now, not rebuilders. As for Fenter, I doubt he's anything special. Solid middle reliever at best, almost certainly coming back to us

Pretty good bet that Pop won't spend the season with the Diamondbacks.

He was traded to the Marlins.

I think Pop has a much greater chance of being a useful piece out of the pen than the guys the Orioles pick have of sticking.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Philip said:

I must have misread the initial comment. It’s probably more accurate to say “he is 26 and has never pitched above AA,” or “he last pitched at 24, in AA”

so yeah, my bad. I still find it curious, and I’m interested in how it turns out. I’d like to know the logic.

I guess the infield logic is that we can find somebody better on the waiver wire, and I suppose that’s fair.

He was 23, not 24. 

3 hours ago, Orange said:

I assume they’re prioritizing 26-year-old 5th starter candidates over a talented-but-recovering-from-TJ reliever.   If you hit on a legit SP it’s a big deal. 

I am not sure I understand the Mac Sceroler selection. I think there is a pretty high probability that he goes back.If they didn't keep Bailey why would they keep this guy. He is a high strikeout - low walk type

Wells on the other hand is also coming off TJ surgery in 2019. Swapped a 2 pitch reliever for a stater will great WHIP >1 per inning, more K's than innings, and pretty low walk rate.

If this guy sticks he's probably a better bet than Pop long term and certainly has more value as a starter.

Baltimore took Tyler Wells from the Twins in the second round. The 6-8 righthanded pitcher has been sidelined since Tommy John surgery in 2018. Wells, 26, was taken in the 15th round in 2016 out of Cal State-San Bernardino and was a combined 10-6 with a 2.49 ERA in 2018 at Class AA Chattanooga and Fort Myers.

https://www.startribune.com/twins-lose-prospects-akil-baddoo-and-tyler-wells-in-baseball-s-rule-5-draft/573358061/

Tyler Wells, P

2020 Age: 25

2018 High Level: Chattanooga (AA)

Tyler Wells was the Twins 15th round selection in the 2016 draft from Cal State San Bernardino. He has steadily climbed the minor league ladder posting a great strikeout rate and decent walk rate while limiting home runs allowed. He has a pretty standard fastball, changeup and slider arsenal but uses his pitches effectively. At 6’8” 265lbs he has the frame of a starting pitcher. He had some biceps tendinitis in July of 2017 but started healthy in the spring of 2018 at Fort Myers. He was promoted after 16 starts at Fort Myers (8.5 K/9, 1.8 BB/9, 2.91 RA) to Chattanooga where he continued to pitch well (10.7 K/9, 3.9 BB/9, 1.65 RA) in 32-2/3 innings. After that terrific performance he was rising up the prospect lists. Unfortunately he felt some elbow pain in spring training last year which progressed to Tommy John surgery in May. Wells is not a young prospect but he has performed admirably at every stop along the way. Expect him to start this year back in Double-A Pensacola with a goal of a promotion to Triple-A. He could pitch for the Twins as early as this September as he is a candidate to be added to the 40 man roster next winter.

https://www.twinkietown.com/2020/4/4/21206740/twinkie-town-prospect-vote-2020-round-34-wade-holland-wells-steer-ober-minor-league-prospects

What a ride! Thank you @twins! Forever grateful for my teammates, coaches, and personnel who have helped mold me along the way! Can’t tell you how excited I am to join the @Orioles organization! Can’t wait to see what is to come! It’s been an amazing welcome to #Birdland! 
Twitter · 20 mins ago

• Like 1