Did the O's just sign their backup catcher of the future?

wildcard

26 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Why do they have to be a glove first? 

How about, at least a C glove behind the plate.

For me,  the catcher behind the plate is responsible for just about all the action on the field, and you need to do the basics, like throw runners out, pitch selection and for Corn's sake, framing. :) :) :)

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

For me,  the catcher behind the plate is responsible for just about all the action on the field, and you need to do the basics, like throw runners out, pitch selection and for Corn's sake, framing. :) :) :)

I don’t really care about their arm, since SB are basically a lost art.

We still don’t truly know the impact of pitch framing.  I’m pretty skeptical on the concept and the impact of it myself.

Knowing how to call a game is important but so much of that is done by the dugout anyway.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t really care about their arm, since SB are basically a lost art.

We still don’t truly know the impact of pitch framing.  I’m pretty skeptical on the concept and the impact of it myself.

Knowing how to call a game is important but so much of that is done by the dugout anyway.

Your last statement about dugout pitch selection is funny, I mentioned this in OH previously and got roasted as not knowing todays game. lol

Im not sold on the total impact of pitch framing, lord knows we have talked about that in OH and Wieters, way too much lol

I disagree with you on SB, when there is a bad catcher behind the plate, the opposing team will make like its a softball game and run at will lol

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I'd be more concerned with the ability to block balls in the dirt.  

I think passed balls and wild pitches do more damage than stolen bases.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

Your last statement about dugout pitch selection is funny, I mentioned this in OH previously and got roasted as not knowing todays game. lol

Im not sold on the total impact of pitch framing, lord knows we have talked about that in OH and Wieters, way too much lol

I disagree with you on SB, when there is a bad catcher behind the plate, the opposing team will make like its a softball game and run at will lol

That very rarely happens.

If you would like to prove me wrong, I'm looking forward to admitting I was mistaken.

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

There isn’t a ton of recent evidence to support that though.   We are seeing less and less stolen bases.

There are several things in traditional baseball that say you must be this or that to play this position or hit in this spot in the lineup or whatever.

Most of it is largely BS and just wrong.  

The idea that a back up C must be good defensively is one of those things.

58 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Why do they have to be a glove first? 

Because offense is the least important part of catching, and effective defense(including, but not limited to, framing, calling, blocking, tagging, and throwing) is much more important.

bearing in mind that a catcher who hits .270 will be a stater somewhere, it is a given that our backup won’t. Therefore defense is  more important.

why do you think it is not?

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Because offense is the least important part of catching, and effective defense(including, but not limited to, framing, calling, blocking, tagging, and throwing) is much more important.

bearing in mind that a catcher who hits .270 will be a stater somewhere, it is a given that our backup won’t. Therefore defense is  more important.

why do you think it is not?

Do you evidence that defense is more important for a catcher?

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Except they really don’t.   Let’s take Sisco — we all know his arm sucks.  His career CS% is a lousy 23%.    So how often does he get run on?    About .93 times per nine innings.    The major league average is about .64 per nine innings.   So, Sisco gets run on more than most catchers, but it’s not multiple times per game.  It’s not even once per game.   And if you calculate the difference in runs per game that it makes, it’s pretty minuscule.   

In the last full season, the team that was run on most often was the Mets - 161 attempts in 162 games.  Despite throwing out only 14% of runners they still had opponents trying less than once a game.   

Just now, Frobby said:

Except they really don’t.   Let’s take Sisco — we all know his arm sucks.  His career CS% is a lousy 23%.    So how often does he get run on?    About .93 times per nine innings.    The major league average is about .64 per nine innings.   So, Sisco gets run on more than most catchers, but it’s not multiple times per game.  It’s not even once per game.   And if you calculate the difference in runs per game that it makes, it’s pretty minuscule.   

In the last full season, the team that was run on most often was the Mets - 161 attempts in 162 games.  Despite throwing out only 14% of runners they still had opponents trying less than once a game.   

Think back to Clevenger when he was sent down by Buck to work on his catching, which he did. Seam like they ran hard on him.