O’s Sign Galvis. 1/$1.25 million

LookinUp

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

You set me down in a restaurant and hand me a menu with the only two dishes being Chopped Liver and Hotcakes and I'll get the Hotcakes every time.

Jeez man, use the colored font, I spit my beer all over the keyboard and monitor over that one. Well done and I agree COMPLETELY!!

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Maybe on exaggerating but who cares as they don’t want to win

So you make clearly incorrect statements about the signing, then when called on it you say who cares, they don't want to win.

Fine.  That tells us all they need to know about your posts.  Any point you make about the Orioles, I am just going to ignore you because who cares, they aren't trying to win.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

How is he the same as Iglesias defensively? 

Galvis had a -3 OAA and -4% success added at SS last year compared to Igelisas at 3 OAA and 5% SA. That's a 6 OAA difference and 9% success added  difference. 

If you wanted those numbers defensively I think Sanchez or Martin could have done that. Heck, maybe even Urias. 

Now, he was much better in 2019 and 2018, so why the big drop off? I worry when players entering the season at 31 and coming off a big drop in defensive ability. Now maybe something was bothering him, I don't know, and I guess he's cheap enough, but those statcast offensive numbers are pretty putrid and if he's not going to bring a great glove, then why not give those PAs to Martin or even Urias?

I guess in a year where it probably doesn't matter, I just don't see how this upgrades us all that much.

Way too much noise in defensive stats in a SSS like 2020.  They mean nothing to me.

They are and have basically been the same player throughout their careers.

Either way, the team is better off with what they have vs just Iglesias.

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

If his glove is real good could be an option in 2022.  

I see I missed the green font again.

Sorry.

I hated that pick.

I'm convinced they only took him in the first round because they gave up their second round pick for Cobb.

I don't see how they could have viewed him as a first round talent.

53 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I think Gunnar is in A ball this year to start. 

For sure.   But maybe not at the end.  

With no MiL season in 2020 to evaluate, it’s really a black hole how much anyone was able to develop and how far they’ll get in 2021.    All we have to go on are the uniformly positive statements we get from the Orioles’ front office and coaching staff, and that kind of talk is not reliable.   

1 hour ago, OrioleDog said:

If 2022 is like 2012, and Gunnar Henderson plus one whole summer of "Skill Development" can approach Machado's precocity.

I do hope the need to slide to 3B is for something a bit more fun than JJ Hardy though!

If Henderson can outplay Westburg for the Baysox SS gig and hold his own at 19/20 in AA, I don't know where else but the next year picture there is to go (we do like AAA MVP awards though).

With all the thoroughbred hype, an Aberdeen/Delmarva starting assignment pair for these two is "C'mon man" material.   Vavra was a college guy who went to the Sally and was MVP, but he was a 3rd rounder.

I grant AA for either of them is a big ask, but don't know how you work it if you think both are SS and need the game reps.

We'd be incredibly well served (lucky, even) to have something like the 2011 - 2014 version of JJ Hardy forcing that move. He averaged 3.6 bWAR/3.3 fWAR over that period.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well if he hits a legit .400 as you suggested this year...

I wouldn't bank on him being up by 2022, but it's possible.  He'd be 21 in June of 2022.  He'd have to have an outstanding 2021 minor league season and carry it over to the start of 2022 in order to get promoted.  I'm sure we'll hear CoC's thoughts on the Orioles gaming his service clock at some point.

All depends on how well he does.  But I do think that if he's up in 2022, that's a good thing...means he's turned into a stud.

Don't push him. He may just make that argument for OD 2021...

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

For sure.   But maybe not at the end.  

With no MiL season in 2020 to evaluate, it’s really a black hole how much anyone was able to develop and how far they’ll get in 2021.    All we have to go on are the uniformly positive statements we get from the Orioles’ front office and coaching staff, and that kind of talk is not reliable.   

So was he or was he not in the best shape of his life (with the ball exploding out of his hand)?

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Way too much noise in defensive stats in a SSS like 2020.  They mean nothing to me.

They are and have basically been the same player throughout their careers.

Either way, the team is better off with what they have vs just Iglesias.

I consider Iglesias to be the better player.   12.4 rWAR in 841 games vs. 7.8 in 998.   That’s not trivial IMO.   At the same time, I agree with you that for one year, Galvis + prospects + $2 mm > Iglesias.   I happen to like the prospects we got.   

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I consider Iglesias to be the better player.   12.4 rWAR in 841 games vs. 7.8 in 998.   That’s not trivial IMO.   At the same time, I agree with you that for one year, Galvis + prospects + $2 mm > Iglesias.   I happen to like the prospects we got.   

But in any given season, there is minimal difference.  1 WAR give or take, for the most part over the last several years.

Both at ages where they could fall off a cliff at any moment.  Iglesias probably the better player but it’s minimal and nothing to really worry about.