The Alex Cobb Appreciation Thread

Frobby

Good guy. Good beard. He seemed to try really hard to help out, within the limitations of his injuries, and to be disappointed when things didn't work out. Maybe Jones will be a plus.

Right now, I can't think of anything else nice to say about his tenure with or value to the Orioles. 

1 hour ago, Morgan423 said:

And zero wins at OPACY.  ?   Someone else pointed it out and I was amazed when I checked his stats page... it's true.

He did have a number of outings where he pitched well enough to win, but didn’t.   For example:

5/28/18 7 IP 3 R 3 ER Loss

7/13/18 6.1 IP 2 R 2 ER Loss

8/12/18 7 IP 2 R 1 ER Loss

8/24/18 6 IP 2 R 2 ER No decision 

4/14/19 5.2 IP 2 R 2 ER No decision

8/5/20 5 IP 1 R 1 ER Loss

9/18/20 6 IP 2 R 2 ER No decision 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

He did have a number of outings where he pitched well enough to win, but didnt. For example:

5/28/18 7 IP 3 R 3 ER Loss

7/13/18 6.33 IP 2 R 2 ER Loss

8/12/18 7 IP 2 R 1 ER Loss

8/24/18 6 IP 2 R 2 ER No-Decision 

4/14/19 5.67 IP 2 R 2 ER No-Decision

8/5/20 5 IP 1 R 1 ER Loss

9/18/20 6 IP 2 R 2 ER No-Decision 

o

Nolan Ryan only won 8 games in 1987 ...... yet he finished 5th in the National League Cy Young voting that season.

Aside from his less-than-stellar 8-16 overall record that season, Ryan led the Major Leagues in ERA (2.76), Strikeouts (270), FIP (2.47), Hits-Per-9 Innings (6.548), Strikeouts-Per-9-Innings (11.480), and Strikeouts-to-Walks Ratio (3.103.) He also led the National League in ERA+ (142.)

That may be one of the most extreme examples in modern MLB history in which a pitcher's W-L record didn't begin to tell the whole story of the kind of season that he actually had.

o

6 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Nolan Ryan only won 8 games in 1987 ...... yet he finished 5th in the National League Cy Young voting that season.

Aside from his less-than-stellar 8-16 overall record that season, Ryan led the Major Leagues in ERA (2.76), Strikeouts (270), FIP (2.47), Hits-Per-9 Innings (6.548), Strikeouts-Per-9-Innings (11.480), and Strikeouts-to-Walks Ratio (3.103.) He also led the National League in ERA+ (142.)

That may be one of the most extreme examples in modern MLB history in which a pitcher's W-L record didn't begin to tell the whole story of the kind of season that he actually had.

o

It’s almost like wins are not an accurate measure of how well you pitched ?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/1/2021 at 7:45 PM, OFFNY said:

o

o

Reminds me of Jacob DeGrom's 2018 and 2019: 64 starts, league-leading and second-best in both  ERA (1.70, 2.43) and Ks (269, 255), and two CYAs, but W/Ls of only 10-9 and 11-8. At least they weren't losing records like Ryan's though.

• Thanks 1

I appreciate what Alex Cobb COULD have brought to us... He carved us up like a Thanksgiving turkey when he was with TB. I liked the signing when it broke, even for THAT much money.

It just didn't work out. Time and injuries conspired against us at every turn. But even as the team was sold off around him he STILL kept a positive attitude! "I like the chemistry of the young guys." "I try to help them all I can." A trooper and a good man at heart. Wish him all the luck in the future.

• Upvote 3