Trezza: What is the plan for Rutschman?

Roll Tide

13 hours ago, drdelaware said:

My question is if he becomes Matt Weiters part 2, is that good enough?

No...my reservation with the pick was taking a C #1.   I don’t love the idea of it.

If he is only Wieters and Witt is a beast, the pick doesn’t look as good imo.

But, even putting aside the idea of what else you could have done, I think Adley has to be a franchise leading guy.  He needs to be your cornerstone piece.  Not just a “good player”.

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No...my reservation with the pick was taking a C #1.   I don’t love the idea of it.

If he is only Wieters and Witt is a beast, the pick doesn’t look as good imo.

But, even putting aside the idea of what else you could have done, I think Adley has to be a franchise leading guy.  He needs to be your cornerstone piece.  Not just a “good player”.

Yes, if the guy picked after him ends up being the clearly superior player the pick won't look as good.

• Haha 1

If the AA season is delayed a month, I could see Rutschman starting at AAA in order to get him as many PAs and time behind the dish as possible.

I doubt we'll see him in 2021 since this team will be competing for nothing but the 1st overall pick so it doesn't make a ton of sense to start his control time and arbitration clock.

Depending on the next collective bargaining agreement and potential work stoppage, it's up in the air when we'll see him play with the Orioles in 2022 but if under current rules, I'd expect somewhere around mid to late April.

Well the scouting reports (maybe just one I dont know) said he was the best prospect since Bryce Harper so that alone should mean he's better than Weiters. I dont exactly expect a 1.100 OPS season out of a catcher, but would be pleased by it. If he's that kind of hitter he should move to 1B.