Orioles considering Franco?

Sports Guy

17 hours ago, interloper said:

It's Heyman so whatever. But no reason to think the Os wouldn't at least check to see if they can get a good deal. Pretty classic deadline trade kind of guy. Upgrade over Ruiz for sure. 

Ultimately $4-8 mil sounds a little steep for the chance at a trade chip. And it's definitely too steep for simply upgrading the offense a bit in a rebuild year. Would I be for it? Oh hell yeah.

Which means Franco must be a Boros client. 

I mentioned Franco this off season as being a fit for the right price. The defense seems pretty solid besides going laterally to the 3B side, and the bat might play well at Camden Yards and I'm ok with them moving on from Ruiz.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Anyway, unless I'm not looking at something correctly here, MLB.com straight up has the wrong stats for Franco:

That's weird. Those stats are way off. Franco played 60 games last year. I'm mostly in agreement with you that any potential trade involving Franco wouldn't be exciting. If he built off his 2020 and OPS'd around .800 which is possible in Camden Yards I would be somewhat intrigued. It's being reported that the Orioles are one of many teams interested, indicating that there's a market for him.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Ahhh, right.  "The ball is coming out of his hand nicely" is to @Frobby as "we can sign this guy in spring training and trade him at the deadline" is to Moose Milligan.

The idea that we could trade a guy who's readily available to anyone right now and get something halfway decent is laughable.  

That's fair, admittedly. I mean if they want to simply upgrade at 3B for no other reason than to field a better team I'm obviously down for that as it wouldn't handcuff them financially. I just sorta doubt they're thinking that way right now. Would be fun tho!

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I mentioned Franco this off season as being a fit for the right price. The defense seems pretty solid besides going laterally to the 3B side, and the bat might play well at Camden Yards and I'm ok with them moving on from Ruiz.

I don't really understand your assessment here.  His defense is solid except for laterally?   Having good lateral movement is essential for a 3rd baseman to be good defensively.    

While I am ready to move on from Ruiz I don't want to downgrade the defense to do it.   Especially for a guy that has a 737 career OPS.   He seems to hit well every other  years and this would be his down year.   

I say Elias,  keep looking for someone better.

29 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yeah. Ruiz is adequate.... He just doesn't excite. Nothing special in his game. O or D.

Ummm...don't we have organizational filler at 3B?   

Beyond now, I think '22 Maikel Franco is more cromulent for a team I haven't quit on yet than anyone else we have.

Next offseason's UFA 3B are Bryant, E. Escobar, Marwin G. in contrast to the SS group now 8-deep with Semien, Andrelton and Galvis back alongside the Big Five.

I guess we could just change gears to the Eric Sogard type guy.