McGregor on Rutschman: "They're throwing it (fastballs) by him right now"

Tony-OH

59 minutes ago, Philip said:

They have always looked varying degrees of bad. I watched the Orioles play the Rangers a couple of years ago(or maybe it was just last year) and Severino attempted a pick off at second base where there was nobody at the base. It was laughable. Six year olds in T-ball would know better

I don't think they have catchers in T-ball.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I don't think they have catchers in T-ball.

Sure they do.  That's one of the highlights of T-ball.  3' 2" kids spending 25 minutes getting geared up with full catcher's equipment eight sizes too big, so that they can slowly waddle out behind the plate to watch all the other kids knock the ball off the tee by repeatedly hitting the tee with the bat.

My kids only played the varieties of youth baseball that are excruciating to watch.  They stopped before it really started to look like grown up baseball.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Sure they do.  That's one of the highlights of T-ball.  3' 2" kids spending 25 minutes getting geared up with full catcher's equipment eight sizes too big, so that they can slowly waddle out behind the plate to watch all the other kids knock the ball off the tee by repeatedly hitting the tee with the bat.

My kids only played the varieties of youth baseball that are excruciating to watch.  They stopped before it really started to look like grown up baseball.

Try introductory fast pitch softball with middle school girls.  The games were only about passed balls, missed third strikes and stealing.   Was painful to coach and watch.  And that is no slight to the girls at all, like anything first learning mechanics of a sport is just tough.  And the pitching mechanics of girls fast pitch was something I could not help with at all.   Tried all season to do it myself and couldn't do it, just terrified the girls who stood in there box while I tried (didn't help that I was terrified of hitting any of them, so everything went waayyy outside or wayyyy over everyone's head). 

1 hour ago, murph said:

Try introductory fast pitch softball with middle school girls.  The games were only about passed balls, missed third strikes and stealing.   Was painful to coach and watch.  And that is no slight to the girls at all, like anything first learning mechanics of a sport is just tough.  And the pitching mechanics of girls fast pitch was something I could not help with at all.   Tried all season to do it myself and couldn't do it, just terrified the girls who stood in there box while I tried (didn't help that I was terrified of hitting any of them, so everything went waayyy outside or wayyyy over everyone's head). 

We have friends who have a middle school aged girl who plays fast-pitch softball.  We watched a whole game where she didn't swing the bat or field a ball, but played the whole game.  It was a little painful.  But not quite T-ball painful.

Also watched my older son play a Little League game at about the age of nine where the was one clean hit by both teams combined and the game ended 15-12 or something like that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Also watched my older son play a Little League game at about the age of nine where the was one clean hit by both teams combined and the game ended 15-12 or something like that.

My son at that age had by far the best control of any pitcher in his league.   Kid was born to throw strikes.   It was fun to watch him pitch because the game actually moved along when he was out there.    He had average velocity then but over time a lot of kids topped him in that department and the better hitters started murdering him one he got into 7th/8th grade.   They knew he’d throw strikes and weren’t worried (1) that he’d get wild and hit them or (2) that it would hurt them if he did hit them.   That’s a bad combination.

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

My son at that age had by far the best control of any pitcher in his league.   Kid was born to throw strikes.   It was fun to watch him pitch because the game actually moved along when he was out there.    He had average velocity then but over time a lot of kids topped him in that department and the better hitters started murdering him one he got into 7th/8th grade.   They knew he’d throw strikes and weren’t worried (1) that he’d get wild and hit them or (2) that it would hurt them if he did hit them.   That’s a bad combination.

My kid pitched a bit at that age, but he takes after me so he was one of the smallest kids on the team and as an adult my fastball topped out around 70.  He's a lefty, so that's an advantage.  And I think no matter the sport the parents love rooting for the little guy.  But now he's a very good soccer player; I think among the modern iterations of the two sports soccer can be more accommodating to a really fast/quick kid who is 4' 6" and 80 pounds in the 8th grade.  His launch angle was pound the ball into the ground and beat the throw to first.