Pay attention to starters this week

Tony-OH

36 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Lopez again. 

Well I guess we'll see if Zimmermann pitches in relief in that game because we know Harvey is going to be the other starter. If Zimmermann doesn't pitch Friday, then we can assume for some God awful reason this organization thinks giving starts to Lopez is better than Zimmermann. 

I realize there are a lot of moving parts with innings this year after last year,  but if Zimmermann is pitching out of the pen while Lopez is putting up his normal 6+ starter ERA I'm going to start having my concerns about the decision making of the Orioles leadership team.

Zimmermann is an actual prospect that should be in the rotation, not pitching in some long relief where Lopez and LeBlanc belong if they are on a major league staff. 

It's a long season, and perhaps they want to limit Zimmermann's innings and use him later in the year as a starter, but I just don't like the idea of seeing Lopez or LeBlanc as starters. 

We are finally getting to the point where potential pieces of the future are getting opportunities at the big league level yet we're getting more Lopez and maybe LeBlanc.

Where's my puke emoji when I need one?

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Well I guess we'll see if Zimmermann pitches in relief in that game because we know Harvey is going to be the other starter. If Zimmermann doesn't pitch Friday, then we can assume for some God awful reason this organization thinks giving starts to Lopez is better than Zimmermann. 

I realize there are a lot of moving parts with innings this year after last year,  but if Zimmermann is pitching out of the pen while Lopez is putting up his normal 6+ starter ERA I'm going to start having my concerns about the decision making of the Orioles leadership team.

Zimmermann is an actual prospect that should be in the rotation, not pitching in some long relief where Lopez and LeBlanc belong if they are on a major league staff. 

It's a long season, and perhaps they want to limit Zimmermann's innings and use him later in the year as a starter, but I just don't like the idea of seeing Lopez or LeBlanc as starters. 

We are finally getting to the point where potential pieces of the future are getting opportunities at the big league level yet we're getting more Lopez and maybe LeBlanc.

I go back to my logic when I guessed Lopez over Akin awhile ago. I don’t think it’s a belief Lopez is better. They want to give him a look and these kid pitchers will not be in the rotation all year anyway. Can always see how it plays out. 

47 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I agree with your logic but Akin and Lopez aren't there yet.   They still have to perform as well as Zimmermann and Valdez.   Let's see what happens over the next two days.

At this point why are they starting Lopez again if they aren’t planning on him being in the rotation. We know Means, Kremer and Harvey are locks. I still wonder if they keep one of Zimmerman/Akin down at camp for insurance. Clearly Zimmerman is throwing the ball much better. That said he isn’t the one getting a start.  

32 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

At this point why are they starting Lopez again if they aren’t planning on him being in the rotation. We know Means, Kremer and Harvey are locks. I still wonder if they keep one of Zimmerman/Akin down at camp for insurance. Clearly Zimmerman is throwing the ball much better. That said he isn’t the one getting a start.  

Zimmermann hasn't pitched in a spring training game in awhile. They have been handling him weirdly. Maybe there is some kind of injury or tweak but he's vanished from spring games though he may be pitching in back fields. The lack of access really sucks to know what's going on. 

Oh well, at this point, I'm tired of guessing. I have a feeling they are going to treat all of their pitchers, including the minor leaguers with kid gloves this year which will make for some strange usage. 

Just disappointing to see Lopez starting when Zimmermann is younger, has outperformed him, and could be part of the future.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Zimmermann hasn't pitched in a spring training game in awhile. They have been handling him weirdly. Maybe there is some kind of injury or tweak but he's vanished from spring games though he may be pitching in back fields. The lack of access really sucks to know what's going on. 

Oh well, at this point, I'm tired of guessing. I have a feeling they are going to treat all of their pitchers, including the minor leaguers with kid gloves this year which will make for some strange usage. 

Just disappointing to see Lopez starting when Zimmermann is younger, has outperformed him, and could be part of the future.

I think we will see plenty of Zimmerman. I definitely think he should be there now but either way we will see him. 

• Like 1

o

Akin's Spring Training ERA was awful, his Spring Training WHIP was awful, his Spring Training Opponents Batting Average was awful, and his final start of the 2021 Spring Training season was awful ...... based on all of that, I believe that he should have a solid start to the season when the real games begin.

7 OUTS: )  3 Strikeouts, 1 Groundout, 1 Foulout, 1 Lineout, 1 Thrown Out at Home Plate

KEEGALEAKIN )))))))) (vs. PIRATES, 3/25) )))))))) (Spring Training)

IP:ll2.33

H:lllll8 ) l(2 Doubles, 6 Singles)

R:lll. 6

BB:ll2

SO:l.3

Pitches: l) 20 )(13)Strikes, )7)Balls) ) *

2021 ERA: l) 10.00 )  9.00 IP  (10 ER) 

2021 WHIP: l)  2.444  )  9.00 IP  (22 H/BB) 

2021 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l)  .366  )(15 for 41)   

PITCHES BY INNING  

* )) (1st Inning Only)

o

9 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

Akin's Spring Training ERA was awful, his Spring Training WHIP was awful, his Spring Training Opponents Batting Average was awful, and his final start of the 2021 Spring Training season was awful ...... based on all of that, I believe that he should have a solid start to the season when the real games begin.

o

o

Statistically, Lopez was as good tonight as Akin was bad last night.

o