Gunnar Henderson 2021

Just Regular

7 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Wound up getting another at bat today. 

Add another K. 0-4 with BB today with all 4 K’s.  0-14. 10K’s. 

Due for a big week next week. Or at least a hit. ?

But but but... he should have been called up to at least AAA if not the MLB team where he could have really been challenged!  ?

• Haha 1

Just now, forphase1 said:

But but but... he should have been called up to at least AAA if not the MLB team where he could have really been challenged!  ?

I never suggested that he wouldn't struggle.  The idea is what would lead to a better Henderson in 2023.

But I made that clear already.

1 minute ago, forphase1 said:

True!! He could be 0-14 there as well. I doubt he would have the 8 walks though!!

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I never suggested that he wouldn't struggle.  The idea is what would lead to a better Henderson in 2023.

But I made that clear already.

Well, he is struggling some now. lol

You know I agree with you for the most part, in that they need to be challenged when ready. He’ll be fine.

Just now, Jammer7 said:

Well, he is struggling some now. lol

You know I agree with you for the most part, in that they need to be challenged when ready. He’ll be fine.

With Henderson it isn't that I think he deserves to be the majors.

I think a chance exists to sign a guy to a really team friendly deal with the enticement of a ML promotion at a clearly premature stage of his career.

I'm convinced that the O's won't be able to contend in the AL East with this ownership without taking some unusual risks.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think a chance exists to sign a guy to a really team friendly deal with the enticement of a ML promotion at a clearly premature stage of his career.

I'm convinced that the O's won't be able to contend in the AL East with this ownership without taking some unusual risks.

I have seen you beating that drum lately. That would be an unique gamble, certainly. I’m not ready to do that, but the idea isn’t unsound for a guy dominating in AA. 

On 6/27/2021 at 6:25 PM, Can_of_corn said:

I'd have him jump to AA, and if he does well there, skip AAA.  The jump from A directly to the Majors is just too much, imo and likely counter-productive.  Grayson said there was a big adjustment for him going to Bowie, and he's a phenom, so if it was tough for him, it'll be tough for anyone.  Otoh, he's kind dominated at AA.  Tbh, he's probably our best pitcher at any level right now - like Adley is our best catcher.  If not for contract issues, they probably both should be in the Majors now.      

On 6/27/2021 at 6:05 PM, eddie83 said:

True!! He could be 0-14 there as well. I doubt he would have the 8 walks though!!

Seems like they aren’t really pitching to him there, or pitching around him. The hits will come, but I’m impressed with his maturity to take the free passes. 

I'd wait until guys are in AAA before offering extensions. If any player is offered $80-100M in AAA they'll likely jump at it. I'd like to see a track record of success before offering a 10 year deal. I agree with the general theory of extending homegrown players until their 30. 

1 hour ago, jabba72 said:

I'd wait until guys are in AAA before offering extensions. If any player is offered $80-100M in AAA they'll likely jump at it. I'd like to see a track record of success before offering a 10 year deal. I agree with the general theory of extending homegrown players until their 30. 

Wait a minute.  We are talking about the Orioles, are we?

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Wait a minute.  We are talking about the Orioles, are we?

For the right player its a bargain. I think there's enough wisdom in that approach that even a tight fisted owner could see. 

13 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

For the right player its a bargain. I think there's enough wisdom in that approach that even a tight fisted owner could see. 

I am not so sure about that, as they write off the last 23m on Davis' contract.

26 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I am not so sure about that, as they write off the last 23m on Davis' contract.

It’s a very rare player where a contract that size would be considered.   Look at Eloy Jimenez for example.  He played half a season of AAA in 2018 and then was ranked the no. 3 prospect in MLB, and before the 2019 season agreed to 6/$43 mm with two options at $16.5 and $18.5 mm.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s a very rare player where a contract that size would be considered.   Look at Eloy Jimenez for example.  He played half a season of AAA in 2018 and then was ranked the no. 3 prospect in MLB, and before the 2019 season agreed to 6/$43 mm with two options at $16.5 and $18.5 mm.

Well it looks like the options bring it very close to $80M. In the future salaries are only going to increase. 

The enticement of a ML promotion implies that he'll be kept down if he doesn't signed the team friendly deal.  Seems a bit on the shady side to me.  Like keeping a guy down to get more service time.  But you would never support something "immoral" like that, would you.  ?