It's Opening Day! (for real, for real)

Moose Milligan

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

Did not know that! I didn’t have cable back then so if it was on TV I missed it.  I remember them playing games at RfK late 80’s, early 90’s. 

Looks like my memory betrayed me a bit again. Os played 2 games at RFK that year, vs Pittsburgh and St Louis, not Seattle.  I guess I e of those was the one I went to.  Wonder where my brain got the Mariners from.

https://www.mlb.com/nationals/history/ballparks 

Scroll down a ways...

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Looks like my memory betrayed me a bit again. Os played 2 games at RFK that year, vs Pittsburgh and St Louis, not Seattle.  I guess I e of those was the one I went to.  Wonder where my brain got the Mariners from.

https://www.mlb.com/nationals/history/ballparks 

Scroll down a ways...

Good find. I remember the 88 game. 

Just looked it was Easter Sunday that year. Was at family’s house. 

13 hours ago, SteveA said:

My favorite OD has to be 1989.   Coming off the 107 loss season, facing Clemens, and there had actually been media buzz that Clemens on OD vs the weak Orioles could produce a no hitter.

It was a stunningly beautiful day, I want to say mid 80s.   I was sitting in the upper deck pretty high behind home plate, so maybe section 40, 41, 1, or 2.   Maybe 10 rows from the top.

We hung around with Clemens, I think maybe 3-3, and scored after he left to win the game by a run, so he didn't take the loss.   But he didn't no-hit us either.   And that was the start of the Why Not year.

That's all from memory and it's been 32 years, I'm sure if I check baseball reference I'll  find some of the details in my memory are totally wrong.

I was working at the Capitol-Gazette newspapers in Annapolis.  Throughout the open-air building, about a dozen of us were listening to the game on transistor radios while we "worked."  When Cal hit the 3-run homer off Clemens in the sixth, twelve random dudes leapt from their seats!  Must have looked quite bizarre to everyone else in the building.  That was on April 3rd of 1989.  Eleven years later to the day, I married the cute girl who was covering the work that I was supposed to be doing...

• Upvote 4

Pulling for the O's and especially a nice welcome back to the official lineup for Trey Mancini.  2021 will not be the year we want.  But hopefully, it will be the year that really lays the foundation of something special.  A big part of that will be the health, even more so than the play, of Trey.

Here's to both of them!!!!

And here's to us for caring about the O's!!!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Anyone see the snow in Detroit yesterday?

It was coming down hard and fast for a bit.  But those snowstorms with the giant flakes don't last for long.  A couple innings later you would have had no idea it had been snowing before.  

Snowed here in VA a little bit like that, too.  

Opening Day was a big event for our family. Parents would always take off work and take me out of school the first Monday in April to go out from DC to Baltimore for the game. Weather was usually lousy. I remember one particular year the weather was horrible with rain/snow mix. Mom made the move around the 7th inning to put us in the car to beat the traffic on the way home. We're listening on the radio and of course Eddie hits a game winning HR in the bottom of the 8th. I have never, ever left a game early since that one. Also remember getting trounced by the Brewers in '88 (the first of the record losing streak) while beating Clemens in '89 with Cal hitting a big HR. 

• Upvote 2