Matt Harvey 2021

Il BuonO

11 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I guess you are going to have to spell it out for me because its not obvious to me.  I don't know what you are trying to point out.  I am sure its a good point.  I would like to see it.

Why are the Orioles keeping a pitcher at the MLB level when his original team, in your opinion may not believe is worth 50k?

It’s not a very high bar to reach for a team to spend 50k on a player. 

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I obviously think its time for Matt Harvey to go but I am not the one that counts.  The only thing I can think of why the O's would  keep him is that Holt thinks he can fix him.   Holt was gone for a couple of weeks.  Maybe Holt wants time to work with him to see if Harvey can improve his location of his pitches.

My guess is they aren’t ready to bring up a young arm to replace him. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Ding ding ding we have a winner!    When the O’s feel they have a pitcher who will benefit more by gaining major league experience than by working on things in the minors, they will jettison Harvey.    Certain posters may feel that pitchers always benefit more from the former than the latter, but the O’s clearly don’t feel that way.    I think it’s highly likely the O’s will reinstall Kremer in the rotation at some point, but the O’s apparently don’t think now is the best time to do that in order to get Kremer in the best position to succeed.   And if you disagree with that judgment, tough.   

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Ding ding ding we have a winner!    When the O’s feel they have a pitcher who will benefit more by gaining major league experience than by working on things in the minors, they will jettison Harvey.    Certain posters may feel that pitchers always benefit more from the former than the latter, but the O’s clearly don’t feel that way.    I think it’s highly likely the O’s will reinstall Kremer in the rotation at some point, but the O’s apparently don’t think now is the best time to do that in order to get Kremer in the best position to succeed.   And if you disagree with that judgment, tough.   

I don't think that is true. 

We’ve all been guilty of wanting to see something out of a particular player, but they simply don’t have it in them. I’m sure Hyde and Elias can be guilty of the same thing, knowing his leadership and seeing his velocity where it is. But the larger view is that he hasn’t been an average starter in a long time. The larger view is that we’re building for a future Harvey doesn’t factor into. Tyler Wells has earned a shot in the rotation in my opinion. If you want to keep Harvey as an opener with Wells shortly behind him in order to stretch him out, that’s a respectful middle ground. But we’re not developing Harvey, whereas Wells is a good find who could be in our rotation for a long time. Or Kremer could get more experience in his slot. Or Bradish/Hall/Smith could get their break (all need to go on the 40 this off-season). Or Rodriguez, who looks ready to my eyes. Whether you release Harvey or move him to the pen I really don’t think is very important in the big picture. 2021 is 100% about developing players. Loyalty to Harvey is nice, but misplaced. 

57 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

It is a slippery slope to call up Bradish but not Hall or Rodriguez because you care about their clocks more than Bradish. But it’s going to look silly for the next four months if you don’t call up any of these guys and they’re continuing to kill it in the minors. The timing of their readiness isn’t exactly ideal for Elias. 

1 minute ago, UMDTerrapins said:

It is a slippery slope to call up Bradish but not Hall or Rodriguez because you care about their clocks more than Bradish. But it’s going to look silly for the next four months if you don’t call up any of these guys and they’re continuing to kill it in the minors. The timing of their readiness isn’t exactly ideal for Elias. 

I don’t think the kids at AA doing well have to be pushed. Even people who want them to be aggressive understand how arms are handled.  

Bradish is older and a college pitcher. Not the same. 

I don’t think service time is an issue this moment for Hall and GRod. That conversation starts next year.  

56 minutes ago, Frobby said:

No, I don't think that is it.   I think its more about Means.   How long will be be out?  Is he ready on the Wed, the  16th when he can come off the 1O day IL or will it be longer?  Even if they call up Kremer they still need Harvey for one more turn to fill in because Means is not available at the earliest until the 16th.

Hyde has announced Akin for Friday.  He has not announced the next two games vs the Rays.   Lopez is probably Sat.   Sunday could be either Zimmermann or Kremer. One of the two probably goes on Monday.   Harvey is needed for Tuesday.    Then we find out if Means can go on Wed or is it Akin.

I don't think they hesitate to bring Kremer back.  With Holt back its just as good having him learn in the majors as in the minors.  JMO

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

I don’t think the kids at AA doing well have to be pushed. Even people who want them to be aggressive understand how arms are handled.  

Bradish is older and a college pitcher. Not the same. 

I don’t think service time is an issue this moment for Hall and GRod. That conversation starts next year.  

I don't think either Hall or Rodriguez belong in AA. Hall needs to work on location, so does Bradish. But Hall and Rodriguez aren't being developed against AA competition. They're getting reps (and fun statistics). I care about mileage on an arm, and I don't like seeing it wasted against minor league competition that is overmatched. 

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

No, I don't think that is it.   I think its more about Means.   How long will be be out?  Is he ready on the Wed, the  16th when he can come off the 1O day IL or will it be longer?  Even if they call up Kremer they still need Harvey for one more turn to fill in because Means is not available at the earliest until the 16th.

Hyde has announced Akin for Friday.  He has not announced the next two games vs the Rays.   Lopez is probably Sat.   Sunday could be either Zimmermann or Kremer. One of the two probably goes on Monday.   Harvey is needed for Tuesday.    Then we find out if Means can go on Wed or is it Akin.

I don't think they hesitate to bring Kremer back.  With Holt back its just as good having him learn in the majors as in the minors.  JMO

This reminded me that they're going to be reluctant to part with any arm on their roster because they're trying to keep everyone's innings down this year due to the shortened 2020 season. And that's not a terrible position to take. But still, let's at least get him out of the rotation. 

2 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

This reminded me that they're going to be reluctant to part with any arm on their roster because they're trying to keep everyone's innings down this year due to the shortened 2020 season. And that's not a terrible position to take. But still, let's at least get him out of the rotation. 

I just don't see how having him get lit up out of the pen is an improvement.

Either way whatever game he pitches in is a blowout loss.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I just don't see how having him get lit up out of the pen is an improvement.

Either way whatever game he pitches in is a blowout loss.

Could be a Tommy Hunter kinda thing though......gets lit up as a starter but has the velocity in short spurts to have value out of the pen. He hasn't been a passable starter since 2018. Finding him a niche out of the pen could be good for his career. That's the rosy take of course, the more likely reality is limiting the damage done by picking his spots and limiting his innings. 

2 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Could be a Tommy Hunter kinda thing though......gets lit up as a starter but has the velocity in short spurts to have value out of the pen. He hasn't been a passable starter since 2018. Finding him a niche out of the pen could be good for his career. That's the rosy take of course, the more likely reality is limiting the damage done by picking his spots and limiting his innings. 

He's pitching in short spurts as a starter.

You think he's been going out there trying to conserve his stuff so he can make it to the seventh?