Roch is obsessed with trading Santander

wildcard

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You are fooling yourself if you don’t think Elias would deal him and you are also fooling yourself if you think Elias needs some hard to believe it would be offered package to trade him.

If he gets an offer he seems to be good enough, Santander is gone.  

I think the only way he is on the 2022 roster is if he has a down year and/or a lot of injury concerns. (And btw, he could still be dealt with these things happening)

I don't know why the focus is on Santander.  Elias would traded any player on the team if some team blows him away with an unbelievable  offer. 

I think Santander is an Oriole at least until 2023.

Just now, wildcard said:

I don't know why the focus is on Santander.  Elias would traded any player on the team if some team blows him away with an unbelievable  offer. 

I think Santander is an Oriole at least until the deadline in 2023.

There's a focus on Santander because he's good and Elias is probably thinking he can get good talent back. I don't think the O's just trade him for a pretty good package though unless they really do like their outfield prospects.

Personally, I hate thinking about trades between April and June.   I just want to enjoy watching the season unfold and root for the players we have.   The odds that we engage in any major trades before July 1 are minimal, and if they do happen, I’m willing to be taken by surprise.   

As to Roch, I read his blog just about every day and have not noticed any obsession with trading Santander.    He wrote about it a couple of times in January - meh. If scouts are looking at him, they’re looking at him.   

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think Santander is an Oriole at least until 2023.

You don’t know why the focus is on him?

Well, you believe that he is really good.  His numbers suggest he may be good although we need to see more of him to know how good.

Either way, he represents the highest trade upside of any player that is likely to be traded right now (except maybe Means although I don’t know that they would deal him for a little while).

Thats why the focus is on him.

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Personally, I hate thinking about trades between April and June.   I just want to enjoy watching the season unfold and root for the players we have.   The odds that we engage in any major trades before July 1 are minimal, and if they do happen, I’m willing to be taken by surprise.   

As to Roch, I read his blog just about every day and have not noticed any obsession with trading Santander.    He wrote about it a couple of times in January - meh. If scouts are looking at him, they’re looking at him.   

The scouts are always looking.  That is their job.  But I really doubt they are only looking at Santander, though that is what Roch's article would make it seem.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

The scouts are always looking.  That is their job.  But I really doubt they are only looking at Santander, though that is what Roch's article would make it seem.

He is clearly the focus and a guy teams know is and will be available.

26 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

There's a focus on Santander because he's good and Elias is probably thinking he can get good talent back. I don't think the O's just trade him for a pretty good package though unless they really do like their outfield prospects.

I don’t think they need some amazing package.

I guess it can be semantics and how you define pretty good but a pretty good offer sounds to me like an offer you take.

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You don’t know why the focus is on him?

Well, you believe that he is really good.  His numbers suggest he may be good although we need to see more of him to know how good.

Either way, he represents the highest trade upside of any player that is likely to be traded right now (except maybe Means although I don’t know that they would deal him for a little while).

Thats why the focus is on him.

He is not likely to be traded right now.   Also Santander 2020 season ended on the IL because of an oblique injury.  And he had the same injury in ST.   Can't think that any team would overpay in trade for someone that may have an injury problem.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

He is not likely to be traded right now.   Also Santander 2020 season ended on the IL because of an oblique injury.  And he had the same injury in ST.   Can't think that any team would overpay in trade for someone that may have an injury problem.

Right now meaning between now and the start of next year.

I doubt he will be dealt today or in the next few weeks unless a deal was really close at the end of ST and the injury caused it to be held up until they know he is 100%.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t think they need some amazing package.

I guess it can be semantics and how you define pretty good but a pretty good offer sounds to me like an offer you take.

We've gone back and forth and have a little bit of a disagreement, but to me you keep Santander and even consider re-signing him unless one of these two things are true:

1. We strongly believe in the ability to replace him. That's most likely our prospects.

2. We get a very strong return.

I don't need a very strong return if 1 is true, but if 1 isn't true, I'd just assume keep the guy without some kind of excess value in the trade.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He is clearly the focus and a guy teams know is and will be available.

Well, you and Roch are on the same page.   I am not close to that.

I think Elias want to see what he has in the his 2021 team and he is not trading away players before he gets a good read on the team capabilities.

The 2012 team surprised.   So much so that they promote Manny to the majors mid season.      I am not saying that this team would be that good.  But I will say it too early to know.

Just now, LookinUp said:

We've gone back and forth and have a little bit of a disagreement, but to me you keep Santander and even consider re-signing him unless one of these two things are true:

1. We strongly believe in the ability to replace him. That's most likely our prospects.

2. We get a very strong return.

I don't need a very strong return if 1 is true, but if 1 isn't true, I'd just assume keep the guy without some kind of excess value in the trade.

If you were using the players in our system, what is a package you would take?

1) Every GM will trade his-or her!-first-born child if the return is good enough.

2) It is too soon to trade Santander right now because the return won’t be good enough. He wouldn’t be seriously n the block until June, but see below.

3) It is much too soon to tell but this team could be looking at another 2012. How it goes will determine whether Mike sells or holds. Santander is the best player on this team and it is unlikely he would be traded if the team is doing appreciably above expectations in June.

4) Roch is a sport writer. Not a journalist. That means he writes about the daily doings of the team, without getting too deep. He has to write about stuff like this.

Nothing to see here, folks.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Well, you and Roch are on the same page.   I am not close to that.

I think Elias want to see what he has in the his 2021 team and he is not trading away players before he gets a good read on the team capabilities.

The 2012 team surprised.   So much so that they promote Manny to the majors mid season.      I am not saying that this team would be that good.  But I will say it too early to know.

Elias doesn’t care about winning this year. He won’t let a good start or anything like that stop him from making a move he believes is best for the team long term.

Both his words and his actions say that this is an undeniable fact.