Keegan Akin 2021

Il BuonO

22 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

His fastball command and velocity was outstanding. He was 94-95 touching 96 and painting. That's obviously the key for him. Commanding this fastball. 

The velocity may be key for him as well.  He seems to get hit around when he's 91-93. 

26 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

His fastball command and velocity was outstanding. He was 94-95 touching 96 and painting. That's obviously the key for him. Commanding this fastball. 

Yeah, where did that come from? Im skeptical Akin can keep it up but his FB was impressive. 

9 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

No, I would agree that he hasn’t been “good”.  But an ERA of just over 5 looks way better.  I’m not sure where it stands now but I believe the average ERA for a 5th starter is around 5.25, or at least it has been in the recent past.

I think he can be better than that..say something in the 4.5-4.8 range.

Not talking about some world beater but if he can go 5 IP and give up 2-3 runs a game (on average), that is good enough for a back end guy.

That’s what I was hoping for when the season began, and based on his MiL track record and his major league performance last year, it seemed like a reasonable hope.   I’m not giving up on it after one bad year,  but I’m definitely less optimistic he can achieve that.  

42 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Second straight nice outing from Akin tonight: 5 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 5 K’s.   He only threw 85 pitches, but Hyde decided 5 innings was enough.   

Really nice to see Akin having some success.   

Wonder if Hyde was worried about him running out of steam or wanted him to be able to stack strong outings. Maybe a combination of the two. 

33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Second straight nice outing from Akin tonight: 5 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 5 K’s.   He only threw 85 pitches, but Hyde decided 5 innings was enough.   

This is a spot to see what Elias can do.  Akin finished last year reasonably well, enough to rely on him this year, and he's been terrible, right up until he was good again.  There's a month left but the ups and downs are difficult to judge.  I hope the advanced metrics show something that helps explain the successes and failures, such that these guys can improve.  

Sulser and Wells looked great tonight.  There was a time Fry and Scott looked great... right up until Fry's arm exploded off his body.  There were times Tate and others gave us hope and then struggled.  This pitching staff has been awful so Elias needs to have some success navigating all these options going forward about who stays and where (rotation/pen, Baltimore/Minors) and who goes. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

His last outing was 92 pitches, but he went 7 innings. 85 and five is just fine. I’m happy with how things might be changing for Akin. I was one of many who wanted to give his innings to Wells or someone else, but maybe he can actually be a useful rotation guy next season? And a lefty to boot?

On 8/27/2021 at 9:30 AM, Hank Scorpio said:

Does anyone have a take on how Akin's fastball was today? Thanks.