The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

Hyde really didn't have a good series, especially the Baker decision, but I think we just hit by  a hot team at the wrong time.  However, I wish Hicks would have seen the hit & run sign.  First and third in the ninth could have shaken up the series.  Means being unavailable was the dagger I think. Means, Bradish, & Rodriguez should be an excellent top of the rotation, but I am worried how Bradish and Rodriguez bounce back from all the innings this season.

25 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Playoff atmosphere is a different animal. Using a veteran catcher with the rookie pitcher should have been a consideration.

I understand you’re on kind of an anti-Adley heater right now — but if McCann catches, then Adley DHs, and it means one of Hays/Mullins/Santander/Hicks has to ride the pine. 

I don’t see that being the right play, unless you were really certain that James McCann and his one career postseason start would be the elixir to Grayson’s playoff jitters.

Edited by e16bball

2 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I understand you’re on kind of an anti-Adley heater right now — but if McCann catches, then Adley DHs, and it means one of Hays/Mullins/Santander/Hicks has to ride the pine. 

I don’t see that being the right play, unless you were really certain that James McCann and his one career postseason start would be the elixir to Grayson’s playoff jitters.

I think Mullins had earned a seat on the pine, especially vs LHP.

• Upvote 1

There are many decisions Hyde made in this series that I could question.  At the end of the day, Texas thoroughly outplayed us.   I don’t think this series was in any way decided by managerial moves.  Everyone including Hyde needs to use this to drive them to be better next year.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There are many decisions Hyde made in this series that I could question.  At the end of the day, Texas thoroughly outplayed us.   I don’t think this series was in any way decided by managerial moves.  Everyone including Hyde needs to use this to drive them to be better next year.

Right, and same goes for pointing any fingers at this or that player or play in the series. In a way it's easier to take this kind of loss, where it was just overwhelming and mostly free of drama. Not much of the game of inches heartbreak here... just take our lumps as a learning experience and be better seasoned for next time around. 

Questioning who started games 2 and 3 is pretty lame too. The only real debate on starters before the series was starting Gibson or Kremer in game 3, but most of us realized it didn’t really matter too much. 

The pitchers didn’t execute. It’s that simple. The worst decision he made was pitching Baker. That was outrageous. 

9 hours ago, kaj21206 said:

Hyde really didn't have a good series, especially the Baker decision, but I think we just hit by  a hot team at the wrong time.  However, I wish Hicks would have seen the hit & run sign.  First and third in the ninth could have shaken up the series.  Means being unavailable was the dagger I think. Means, Bradish, & Rodriguez should be an excellent top of the rotation, but I am worried how Bradish and Rodriguez bounce back from all the innings this season.

So you’re assuming if Hicks saw the sign he would have gotten a hit?

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

Hard to do better than 101 wins, especially in the AL East.

17 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

So you’re assuming if Hicks saw the sign he would have gotten a hit?

I can dream, can't I?  The is a crappy day for me.  I'm at work surrounded by Phillies fans.  My boss came to my office to gloat.  So in my dreams Hicks gets the hit and we win game one.  You are right that there was no guarantee that the hit & run works.