The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

On 5/1/2021 at 7:18 PM, SteveA said:

I disagree with leaving DJ Stewart in the game, regardless of what he says.  It's 2021.  We understand the dangers of concussions.

Just because you hit your face or your head does not mean you have a concussion. While Stewart was messing with his jaw, its not like he looked spacey out there. I'll defer to the judgment of the trainers who have the best understanding of the situation.

On 5/1/2021 at 8:22 PM, Beysbol said:

I saw the play and highly doubt he has a concussion. In my opinion, it wasn't that bad. If he hit his head on something other then the padding then I would think he may have a concussion. He's fine. 

I agree. The player shook off the trainers and was not acting weird other than moving his jaw around. Stewart wasn't wobbly or showing any signs of needing to come out. I'm sure he was quickly evaluated by the trainers when it got into the dugout but every time a players collides with something does not mean they need to be checked for concussions, which by the way, can only be assessed by a series or questions of a test for cognitive abilities. It's not like an xray shows anything. 

1 hour ago, survivedc said:

Gotta give it to Hyde, after the first 30 days of games, he’s made very few if any decisions that seem to be outright wrong. What’s more is he is pushing the right buttons with lineup and bullpen decisions. Would love a major league second basemen but that’s not his call. Hyde had the team show up for every game last year and it’s more of the same so far in 2021.

Overall I think Hyde does a good job. His answers to the press have gotten more clichéd after his first year when he was more willing to tell it like he saw the situation. I enjoyed his candor that first year but the closest he's gotten to talking about a player's mistake was when Mountcastle got thrown out at third the other day after getting a bad read. But he still through in there that he liked his aggressiveness even though he had a bad read and ran against a guy with a gun center field.

On 5/1/2021 at 7:26 PM, Frobby said:

Sulser’s mediocre performance today has me second guessing my own second guess of Hyde’s decision to stick with Valdez over Sulser last night.   

And Lakins had a mini meltdown on Sunday. I'm not saying back to backing Valdez was the right move but it wasn't the definitely wrong move. 

I don't understand why Hyde keeps putting Severino in the 4 or 5 hole.  The man has 2 RBI all season.  His OPS is below .600.  I know the O's don't have a lot of great options for the middle of the order right now, but Severino can't possibly be the right answer.  

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

I don't understand why Hyde keeps putting Severino in the 4 or 5 hole.  The man has 2 RBI all season.  His OPS is below .600.  I know the O's don't have a lot of great options for the middle of the order right now, but Severino can't possibly be the right answer.  

He mashed LHP in 2019. I think Hyde is hoping that is still the case. Our lineup vs LHP is weak right now, and weak in general. Valaika has mashed LHP before as well. 

Guys just need to hit. Not Hyde’s fault. Overall, I think Hyde’s managing his butt off this season. Most nights he has to get 4-5 IP from 4-5 different relievers. Thankfully we have 10+ man bullpens. 

5/9 Mother's Day, Kremer had a nice line through 5 IP with 1 ER and the lead. Hyde has him start the 6th, Marwin leads off with a single. Hyde continues with Kremer for another batter and Verdugo singles to put the go ahead run on base. Both guys eventually score to give Sox the lead Reminded me of usage of Lopez vs Yanks when he had the lead thru 4 but Hyde allowed him to put the first two batters on. They end up not getting any outs and turn a good start into a poor one. Probably has to do with the timing of getting the bullpen warmed up but man it is frustrating to see the same pattern repeating itself.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

5/9 Mother's Day, Kremer had a nice line through 5 IP with 1 ER and the lead. Hyde has him start the 6th, Marwin leads off with a single. Hyde continues with Kremer for another batter and Verdugo singles to put the go ahead run on base. Both guys eventually score to give Sox the lead Reminded me of usage of Lopez vs Yanks when he had the lead thru 4 but Hyde allowed him to put the first two batters on. They end up not getting any outs and turn a good start into a poor one. Probably has to do with the timing of getting the bullpen warmed up but man it is frustrating to see the same pattern repeating itself.

Kramer had been pitching good so no need to pull him to start the 6th.  We also had a short pen after the game last night.  You have to try and get some innings from starters and they need to learn to pitch more then 4 or 5 inning before they come out.  

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Kramer had been pitching good so no need to pull him to start the 6th.  We also had a short pen after the game last night.  You have to try and get some innings from starters and they need to learn to pitch more then 4 or 5 inning before they come out.  

Was not questioning the decision to keep him in to start the 6th (or Lopez to start the 5th), but rather to keep them both in after allowing the leadoff runner. I see the need to get innings but you hate to let a winnable game get away with a series sweep on the line.

• Upvote 1

We must remember that with the not high quality of the Orioles team, that every decision is magnified much more than if the team was of a higher quality.  Less room for error, in other words.  Sure hindsight is 20/20, but the thing this year is to play as many players who will be included in the Future of the team as possible.  Let them make their mistakes and successes and rack that up to experience for the near term future.             

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Was not questioning the decision to keep him in to start the 6th (or Lopez to start the 5th), but rather to keep them both in after allowing the leadoff runner. I see the need to get innings but you hate to let a winnable game get away with a series sweep on the line.

Sorry but this year is not about winning 75 games rather than 65. You have to give these young pitchers experience in tough situations. We have another game with the Sox tomorrow by the way.

53 minutes ago, LocoChris said:

Sorry but this year is not about winning 75 games rather than 65. You have to give these young pitchers experience in tough situations. We have another game with the Sox tomorrow by the way.

Perhaps it's better to give young pitchers experience in doing what it takes to win.

And teaching them that every game matters in a season.

14 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

When we are good enough to compete in the playoffs managing to win a playoff game will be important. Hyde will not be able to do what he is doing forever. But right now it is important to give guys the opportunity to get out the tight spot for multiple reasons. 

1) it really is a teaching opportunity for pitchers to learn how to navigate trouble. 
2). We need to eat innings because the pen is getting tons of use.

I commend Hyde for his patience. He is risking short term success for long term gain and for a young manager I think that is pretty insightful.