The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

14 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Bradish shouldn’t have came back out after the 40 pitch 2nd inning. 

Agreed.  They have a rule in the minors about throwing over 30 in an inning.  It’s to protect the pitcher from an abnormally high stress inning.

25 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Ok. You’re down 7-0.  Do you pitch one of your best relievers 2 2/3 innings and burn him for the next two nights or do you try to get 6.2 innings from Voth, Akins, and Perez.  That’s not giving up.  That’s being smart.

Just to be clear Baumann was up stretching and just light tossing after the second guy got on and it was still 3-0 most likely hoping if he needed him to try and get them out of inning still with a 3-0 or 4-0 game going to bottom of 3rd.  As I have said before you have to make a decision usually about 10 minutes in advance to give the bullpen guy time to get up stretch loosen up and then start ramping up throwing so you can come into a game and usually even more early in game as most guys don’t start stretching til 4th or 5th inning.  Managers usually have a designated long man for the game even before the game starts.  

34 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Smart would have been pulling Bradish 2 batters earlier.  

I agree on that, I would have had whoever was the designated long man up earlier but we don’t know when he was told to get up.  The Red Sox broadcast showed him light tossing after Hernandez single so he probably was told to stretch out sometime around the end of the second.

I get why Bradish went back out in the third, but given how much he struggled in the second, not having someone almost ready in case of further struggles was negligence. No chance Bradish should have been left in after the first two singles. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Just to be clear Baumann was up stretching and just light tossing after the second guy got on and it was still 3-0 most likely hoping if he needed him to try and get them out of inning still with a 3-0 or 4-0 game going to bottom of 3rd.  As I have said before you have to make a decision usually about 10 minutes in advance to give the bullpen guy time to get up stretch loosen up and then start ramping up throwing so you can come into a game and usually even more early in game as most guys don’t start stretching til 4th or 5th inning.  Managers usually have a designated long man for the game even before the game starts.  

Ok. Makes sense except Baumann has been a top setup guy.  Ok, maybe Hyde wants to use all of his bullets to keep the game close.  I believe you mentioned thinking ahead the other day.  I would have used Voth as the long man, crossed my fingers, and try to avoid using the "A" team unless we tied or went ahead.  Now Baumann is unavailable for at least two games.

25 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

So, you won’t ph Rutschman for McCann in the 6th inning with 2 men on, down by four but you will PH him with no one on down by two.   I find that strange.

It’s the difference between having him catch at least 3, possibly 4 innings in the first game of a DH, and having him catch 1 inning, possibly 2 (turned out to be 1).

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

It’s the difference between having him catch at least 3, possibly 4 innings in the first game of a DH, and having him catch 1 inning, possibly 2 (turned out to be 1).

Yeah, I get that.  Can you measure the difference?    Either don’t use him at all or bring him in when the situation is optimal.

Why take out the team's top young pitcher after only five innings when he's been completely dominant?  He doesn't even have 100 pitches.  And then Hyde relieves him with Keegan Akin's trash.  I'm sorry, I don't care if the O's are up by 6 runs.  It's just a bad decision -- one of things I hate most about today's game.

• Upvote 1