The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

You absolutely pitch to Judge there.  Let's be clear though, a lot of MLB hitters would hit that bp hung splitter out.  The problem is he had no command of the splitter tonight.  So just stick to the fastball that Judge couldn't catch up to, as shown in the first 2 pitches of the ab. 

1 minute ago, SilverRocket said:

Hyde was fine. Adley should not have called for a splitter there with Bautista just having thrown two great fastballs and Judge showing no evidence of selling out for it.

4 minutes ago, O's84 said:

You absolutely pitch to Judge there.  Let's be clear though, a lot of MLB hitters would hit that bp hung splitter out.  The problem is he had no command of the splitter tonight.  So just stick to the fastball that Judge couldn't catch up to, as shown in the first 2 pitches of the ab. 

Yes and yes. 

Guess it’s Woodford Reserve time.

12 minutes ago, O's84 said:

I disagree with this. You don’t intentionally walk him, no but you don’t throw him ANYTHING that he can square up. At this point it’s comical how much success Judge has against them. Make someone else beat you. Period. 

I said to myself out loud that Judge would take Bautista deep because I just knew that it would go that way. Some guys just own others or certain teams. That’s baseball and damn frustrating but at some point you have to decide that Judge isn’t going to beat you. Until they break those curses, the same story will repeat itself over and over. 

2 minutes ago, banks703 said:

I disagree with this. You don’t intentionally walk him, no but you don’t throw him ANYTHING that he can square up. At this point it’s comical how much success Judge has against them. Make someone else beat you. Period. 

I said to myself out loud that Judge would take Bautista deep because I just knew that it would go that way. Some guys just own others or certain teams. That’s baseball and damn frustrating but at some point you have to decide that Judge isn’t going to beat you. Until they break those curses, the same story will repeat itself over and over. 

He got ahead 0-2 and Judge was late on both those fastballs.  He could of thrown a fastball up in the zone and it probably would have been a K or at best weak contact.  Going to the splitter was foolish in a 1 run game when you have no command of it.  If you hang it like he did you just speed up the bat.  It's was a bp high 80MPH splitter that just hangs there.  A lot of MLB hitters hit that ball out, not just Judge.  So I don't understand the position you're taking on this.

Obviously, it’s always on the pitcher when he poorly executes a pitch.  In that sense, of course the result is on Bautista. 

But for anyone who’s watched the guy over the last month, he lost command over the splitter several weeks ago.  In the last 4-5 outings, he’s had command of it sporadically, but not consistently.  

So in this game, they throw two to Torres and neither one is anywhere near the bottom of the strike zone, but Torres is geared up for a fastball and misses a shoulder-high splitter for strike 3.   Good result, but Bautista is 0 for 2 in landing that pitch anywhere near where he intended to throw it.  Two strikes on fastballs to Judge, you just can’t call the splitter there after Bautista had shown he can’t put it where he wants to tonight.  Not when you’ve got 100 mph in your back pocket and a favorable count so you don’t need to throw it in the zone.  And by the way, where was the target?   If you want Felix to bury it, then put your glove right on the ground, not thigh-high.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, O's84 said:

He got ahead 0-2 and Judge was late on both those fastballs.  He could of thrown a fastball up in the zone and it probably would have been a K or at best weak contact.  Going to the splitter was foolish in a 1 run game when you have no command of it.  If you hang it like he did you just speed up the bat.  It's was a bp high 80MPH splitter that just hangs there.  A lot of MLB hitters hit that ball out, not just Judge.  So I don't understand the position you're taking on this.

I'm not arguing that a lot of hitters would punish that mistake. What I am saying is that Aaron Judge owns the Orioles and continues to eat their lunch game in and game out, series after series. At some point you just have to stop letting him do that, even if it means taking your chances with Rizzo. And I think you are arguing my point in pointing out that he had Judge 0-2 and could have thrown him another fastball up in the zone that he wouldn't be able to catch-up to make contact. 

Aaron Judge's career numbers vs. the O's:

91 games

103 hits

38 homeruns

19 doubles

82 RBI

.312 AVG

.434 SLG

1.149 OBP

On this season specifically:

4 games

5 hits

3 homeruns

1 double

4 RBI

.333 AVG

It's not new that he obliterates the Orioles. Stop throwing him anything that he can touch. Period. 

If every time I cook, I burn my hand who is at fault? Can I stop cooking altogether (in this analogy cooking is playing the Yankees and facing Aaron Judge)? Obviously not cooking is not an option. I have to eat to survive. But if every time that I cook and I burn my hand, am I just going to concede that even though I've got this fancy stove and this fancy pan and the eggs are yummy, the burn on my hand is worth it? If so, then I'm a dumbass. Put on gloves, try a new pan, cook something else.. there's lots of things that can be done different to avoid burning my hand but the responsibility is obviously on ME to do something different. 

Aaron Judge is a burn that can be avoided in MANY situations. Stop. Pitching. To. Aaron. Judge. It's disgusting. 

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

Obviously, it’s always on the pitcher when he poorly executes a pitch.  In that sense, of course the result is on Bautista. 

But for anyone who’s watched the guy over the last month, he lost command over the splitter several weeks ago.  In the last 4-5 outings, he’s had command of it sporadically, but not consistently.  

So in this game, they throw two to Torres and neither one is anywhere near the bottom of the strike zone, but Torres is geared up for a fastball and misses a shoulder-high splitter for strike 3.   Good result, but Bautista is 0 for 2 in landing that pitch anywhere near where he intended to throw it.  Two strikes on fastballs to Judge, you just can’t call the splitter there after Bautista had shown he can’t put it where he wants to tonight.  Not when you’ve got 100 mph in your back pocket and a favorable count so you don’t need to throw it in the zone.  And by the way, where was the target?   If you want Felix to bury it, then put your glove right on the ground, not thigh-high.  

This.  The biggest difference between Bautista this year and last year is command of the splitter.  His splitter is frequently all over the place...way up, 55 foot bouncers, with a few meatball hangers mixed in.  And yes, I think Adley deserves part of the blame; he hung a splitter but got lucky to strike out Torres.  Judge was having a hard time catching up to 100; keep throwing it or make sure Bautista understands to bounce a splitter.

1 minute ago, Otter said:

This.  The biggest difference between Bautista this year and last year is command of the splitter.  His splitter is frequently all over the place...way up, 55 foot bouncers, with a few meatball hangers mixed in.  And yes, I think Adley deserves part of the blame; he hung a splitter but got lucky to strike out Torres.  Judge was having a hard time catching up to 100; keep throwing it or make sure Bautista understands to bounce a splitter.

As a professional baseball player Bautista should understand this himself. Unless Adley is expected to have magic brain powers I don't see how he is supposed to communicate this unless you do a mound visit every pitch. 

Just now, Aristotelian said:

As a professional baseball player Bautista should understand this himself. Unless Adley is expected to have magic brain powers I don't see how he is supposed to communicate this unless you do a mound visit every pitch. 

Yes, and that's why I said part of the blame.  Both are to blame for the pitch selection and location.  When calling pitches, you call for a pitch and a location.  The catcher can also adjust where he sets up and where he places the target.  You don't need magic brain powers to do that...

3 minutes ago, Otter said:

Yes, and that's why I said part of the blame.  Both are to blame for the pitch selection and location.  When calling pitches, you call for a pitch and a location.  The catcher can also adjust where he sets up and where he places the target.  You don't need magic brain powers to do that...

According to one of the comments Bautista said after the game it was supposed to be low and away. He understood that and did not execute. The game is 110% on Bautista throwing a bad pitch. 

There's blame all around. Hyder gets some. The offense gets some for falling asleep with a 4-0 lead. Gunnar gets some for a missed double play ball in the game. It's not just on Hyde, Felix or Adley. What I do put on the coaching staff is not game planning around not letting Aaron Judge beat you. Again, his numbers against the O's are from a video game. They need to quit with arrogance already or whatever it is. Aaron Judge is better than them. He's better than a lot of players/teams. 

11 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

According to one of the comments Bautista said after the game it was supposed to be low and away. He understood that and did not execute. The game is 110% on Bautista throwing a bad pitch. 

But it's also part of Adley's job to understand when a pitcher isn't able to command a certain pitch, and adjust his pitch calling appropriately.  Like I said, they both share blame.  

3 minutes ago, banks703 said:

There's blame all around. Hyder gets some. The offense gets some for falling asleep with a 4-0 lead. Gunnar gets some for a missed double play ball in the game. It's not just on Hyde, Felix or Adley. What I do put on the coaching staff is not game planning around not letting Aaron Judge beat you. Again, his numbers against the O's are from a video game. They need to quit with arrogance already or whatever it is. Aaron Judge is better than them. He's better than a lot of players/teams. 

Bringing in Cano for the 7th was 100% about game planning for Aaron Judge. If the bottom of the order was coming up, Hyde almost certainly would have given the 7th to Baker. I don't know what this "arrogance" is you're talking about. Walking Judge intentionally to face Rizzo as the winning run with the RF porch 300 feet away would be pretty arrogant towards Rizzo, wouldn't it?