The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Can’t fault Hyde for Mountcastle’s defense. With the new extra inning games, our trouble to score, we need Mountcastle’s bat. One run is to be expected. 

Sure you can. Shouldn’t have been in the game at that point. And it doesn’t matter he was up 4th the next inning. The whole idea of a defensive replacement is that to protect a lead you sacrifice offense. Happens all the time.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Sure you can. Shouldn’t have been in the game at that point. And it doesn’t matter he was up 4th the next inning. The whole idea of a defensive replacement is that to protect a lead you sacrifice offense. Happens all the time.

Sure but it’s always a judgment call as to exactly when you make the switch.    

In that close of a game, against that opponent with a collar around the Orioles neck, you do NOT let Mountcastle put a glove on, unless it is a batting glove.  I thought the entire Orioles organization knew that.  Not second guessing, but first smarts.  That is when I went to bed in utter disgust.  Boner after boner this year, but the Orioles were blessed to have won the game. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

When you have a one run lead and a bad defensive outfielder late in the game,  that would be the time.

How late is late?    That’s where the judgment comes in.   I’m sure somewhere there’s been a study done about when defensive replacements typically enter a game and the factors that influence that.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

How late is late?    That’s where the judgment comes in.   I’m sure somewhere there’s been a study done about when defensive replacements typically enter a game and the factors that influence that.   

It was the 8th, that’s late enough.

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Hyde should’ve sent Scott back out there for the 9th. 18 pitches in the 8th. Especially with the lefty Devers being the first hitter up. 

It’s too early in the season to be married to roles in the bullpen. At least see how Scott looks then go to Valdez if needed. 

I was also not a fan of Leblanc in a winnable game. He should be pretty much the last option.

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Hyde should’ve sent Scott back out there for the 9th. 18 pitches in the 8th. Especially with the lefty Devers being the first hitter up. 

It’s too early in the season to be married to roles in the bullpen. At least see how Scott looks then go to Valdez if needed. 

I have many times said that a defined a closer role is ridiculous and limiting. Use your guys when you need them

2 hours ago, Pushmonkey said:

Ok his in game management is more on show. 1st inning binning by your number 3 batter. Dumb. 

I’ve been having to work most of the day so I’ve been unable to follow along, and a whole lot has happened since that month, but yes, how stupid is it to sacrifice bunt at any time, much less in the first inning?