Losing Loewen?

tywright

So what is the complete story anyways? Did the doctors tell him there's just no way his arm can take the rigors of being a ML pitcher right now, or is there a chance in a couple of years his elbow completly heals and can pitch again?

Basically, he'd need surgery and it would probably be another year/year 1/2 before he could be pitching for the Orioles again. Even then, there was no guarantee that the issue would go away. Loewen opted to nix pitching and to go back to hitting as it is less strenuous on his elbow which has been ailing him for some time. Same with his forearm.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has there been a single signing announced by any team since the regular season ended? I can't think of one.

Kyle Lohse signed a 4 year, $41M extension with the Cardinals on Sep 29th, the day after the last game of the season. Obviously, the two sides had been discussing that deal for some time, and Kyle was scratched from his scheduled start in the last game because he was still finishing up his physical.

I dont really understand, especially as a novice compared to most of you...We released Adam because he was out of options and we could not send him 'down' to make room on our rosters, correct? Then, I read that by doing that we saved '$700k, what he was due to make next year.' Well, wouldn't we have to pay that anyway, unless someone signed him? so I didn't understand how we saved the money?

Thanks

I dont really understand, especially as a novice compared to most of you...We released Adam because he was out of options and we could not send him 'down' to make room on our rosters, correct? Then, I read that by doing that we saved '$700k, what he was due to make next year.' Well, wouldn't we have to pay that anyway, unless someone signed him? so I didn't understand how we saved the money?

Thanks

His initial 5 year contract with the Orioles expired in 2007 and for 2008 he was on 1 year contract. By releasing him, the team owes him nothing.

We have to be completely rational in what we do. Let's say some team offers him a $250,000 signing bonus - that is basically 4th round money. Do we think Loewen at age 25 next season is as good a bet as a 4th round pick, or not? It's not a matter of whether he "owes us" anything, or whether we "owe him" anything. Is that $250,000 best spent on Loewen, or somewhere else? Let's leave it to the guys who have been watching him hit, and have a better idea of how good or bad his chances really are.

I'd rather have the fourth round draft pick than a guy who had no power in juco. Hope I'm wrong though.

I'd rather have the fourth round draft pick than a guy who had no power in juco. Hope I'm wrong though.

You are really basing your entire opinion of this guy's hitting ability on his JUCO year?

This after experts have said he was a top three round selection out of HS and that multiple major league teams are interested in him NOW? People on this board never cease to amaze me.

That's too small of a sample size to be worth much.

While Loewen was playing JUCO ball, after he was drafted, Baseball America speculated on his potential as a hitter.

Loewen, Canada’s top hitter at the World Junior Championship last summer, spent the fall hitting cleanup for the [Chipola (Fla.) Junior College] Indians. He continued to show the power that has many scouts wondering whether he may project better as a pitcher or as a power-hitting outfielder.

"He would be our best center fielder by a lot if we used him there, but because he’s pitching, we’ve limited him to first base and DH," Johnson said. "He’s got great hand-eye coordination and can really swing it. He’s just a special talent."

I didn't see him and I haven't reviewed all his amateur statistics, but I suspect that Baseball America's columnist knew a little bit of what he was talking about.

That being said, he's still a long shot to follow in Ankiel's footsteps. Ankiel hit 2 home runs during his rookie season, even though the DH robbed him of any chance to bat coming up through the minors. The following season, while Rick was trying to work through his wildness down in the rookie league, he hit 10 home runs as a DH when he wasn't pitching.

Loewen might still be that good, but he's had no opportunity to demonstrate it and his hitting skills have undoubtedly atrophied while he developed as a pitcher.

I'm with you. If Loewen leaves, it's a slap in the face to this entire organization. Especially after how much we've freakin' babied him.

I disagree. Baseball is business. I would not break the bank to keep Loewen. We've already thrown good money after bad here and we want to spend more for a guy who will probably never amount to more then a spare part if in fact he makes it at all?? Goodbye Adam:)

Loewen is a good guy i am sure. But i beleive it is for his best and the O's jsut to part company. The chance of him becoming a good hitter or bench player in MLB is slim to none. If someother team wants to take that chance then let them. IMO

Why would it be for the best? There is no negative I can think of for having him in the minor league system even if he never makes it. Having someone who has been at the highest level among the guys trying to get there is a benefit IMO. Especially one who to have the work ethic that Loewen seems to have.

What about Loewen has shown that he won't be able to hack it with a bat (figuratively) in the Majors? He seems to show pretty good discipline, slaps the ball to all fields... it's not like he's showing us Jay Gibbons circa 2007 and striking out every time he comes up to bat. He's got a talent to hit, and it may or may not translate to the majors. We drafted him pretty highly so I don't see any reason to not give him a shot. So far he hasn't screwed up his chances, so it's pretty silly for everyone here to be up in arms about whether or not he'll make it anywhere.

Roch just said in his blog that Adam Loewen is not going anywhere and that he is committed to the Orioles. Here is the link:

http://masnsports.com/2008/10/a-little-moyer-a-little-loewen.html

Andrew' date='[/quote']I wouldn't hold it against Loewen if he jumped ship for more money, but it is really nice to see him showing loyalty to the organization even if more money can be had elsewhere.

I really hope he makes it, from just about every report it seems like you'd have to work really hard to find a guy who is nicer and works harder than Loewen.

Archived