Orioles defense so far by Statcast

Tony-OH

18 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

It is hard to give up on him playing left field effectively, and maybe his early mistakes were just that, early mistakes, but basically he's been awful outside of 1 star catches.

The Yankee series was telling.  The Yankees are not a fast team but are aggressive on the bases and they took an extra base on Mountcastle arm repeatedly.  Palmer noted it during the games.   I don't expect Mountcastle's arm to get stronger.  

16 hours ago, Philip said:

Comments like this are useless. And dishonest. Mountcastle Has a wonderful prospect pedigree, but he has little defensive value( his FB fielding value is 30 which has so far proven to be the case) and only has 209 ABs and hasn’t yet shown what he can do. If you think he can be traded at this moment for a meaningful return, then ok.

Mountcastle may have defensive value at 1B.

Just now, wildcard said:

The Yankee series was telling.  The Yankees are not a fast team but are aggressive on the bases and they took an extra base on Mountcastle arm repeatedly.  Palmer noted it during the games.   I don't expect Mountcastle's arm to get stronger.  

Moutcastle can throw effectively when he can use his long arm action to throw, but anything that requires him to make a quicker throw will be well below average. He has the athleticism and foot speed to be a decent outfielder but he doesn't look like he comfortably tracks balls. Even when he makes catches it looks awkward at times. 

He's probably going to end up being Mancini's replacement at 1B but he has more value if he can just be an average LFer.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Moutcastle can throw effectively when he can use his long arm action to throw, but anything that requires him to make a quicker throw will be well below average. He has the athleticism and foot speed to be a decent outfielder but he doesn't look like he comfortably tracks balls. Even when he makes catches it looks awkward at times. 

He's probably going to end up being Mancini's replacement at 1B but he has more value if he can just be an average LFer.

I been thinking about Mancini and his contract going forward.   I am not sure whether he gets replaced or not.  The main reason for trading him is his up coming FA at the end of 2022.   His highest trade value may be at the July deadline this year.  

However, with the cancer issue, is any team going to offer him a long term contract?  If not would the O's sign him to a contract for 2022 with an option year for 2023?   And would they repeat that in years to come.  If the team and Mancini could agree on something like that then maybe he stays.

Mancini is the heart of this team.  A leader and well respected by all.  If he is healthy and productive there are many reasons to keep him.  IMO its just a question of his upcoming FA and what kind of contract can be worked out to benefit him and protect the team.

Mountcastle and Mancini can share 1B/DH into the future.  Just my thoughts for now.

17 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

In the context of this thread, a 100% CS backstop?

I've been higher on Sisco than most.  I can't stand Severino behind the plate.  For a guy called a catcher, he is surprisingly bad at catching the ball.  But, Sisco's failure to hit at anywhere near his minor league performance is mystifying.  And, 100% of 3 baserunners April is not really something I can hang my hat on long-term.

18 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Mountcastle and Mancini can share 1B/DH into the future.  Just my thoughts for now.

I’ve been suggesting that for a long time, and it has happened enough recently that I think the team is  Considering it.

48 minutes ago, wildcard said:

So far his rate of holding runners to 1 base on a single or 2 on a double is 61.5% compared to 60.7% league average for LF.   Not too meaningful given the small sample size (13 opportunities).

22 minutes ago, wildcard said:

However, with the cancer issue, is any team going to offer him a long term contract?  If not would the O's sign him to a contract for 2022 with an option year for 2023?   And would they repeat that in years to come.  If the team and Mancini could agree on something like that then maybe he stays.

I was looking at transactions of the early Camden Yards years recently, and for like half the 90's we'd sign Harold Baines for a year each December.

I hope by 2023 we get 1B Mountcastle, LF Santander, CF (whoever plays best), RF Kjerstad, and full time DH's aside from Cruz are pretty rare.

We'll see the 2022 rules but if they are basically the same I could imagine him being next year's Eddie Rosario where HR/RBI being over-rewarded by arbitrators put everything on a slippery slope.    We joke about whether we'll tender Mountcastle Arb3, but Trey with a productive year will live that reality this winter.

1 hour ago, OrioleDog said:

I was looking at transactions of the early Camden Yards years recently, and for like half the 90's we'd sign Harold Baines for a year each December.

I hope by 2023 we get 1B Mountcastle, LF Santander, CF (whoever plays best), RF Kjerstad, and full time DH's aside from Cruz are pretty rare.

We'll see the 2022 rules but if they are basically the same I could imagine him being next year's Eddie Rosario where HR/RBI being over-rewarded by arbitrators put everything on a slippery slope.    We joke about whether we'll tender Mountcastle Arb3, but Trey with a productive year will live that reality this winter.

I don't think the money on a one year contract is the issue with Mancini.   I think the O's will pay this off season to make the 2022  and going forward team better.

4 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I would almost never make a projection like that, that a guy who hasn't played a MLB inning is going to be better than an established star.  There have probably been 1000 guys with Mickey Mantle talent and prospect status and about five of them have become Mickey Mantle.

What happened to the "other" 4?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NCRaven said:

I've been higher on Sisco than most.  I can't stand Severino behind the plate.  For a guy called a catcher, he is surprisingly bad at catching the ball.  But, Sisco's failure to hit at anywhere near his minor league performance is mystifying.  And, 100% of 3 baserunners April is not really something I can hang my hat on long-term.

While that's true, the thread context is fully focused on the SSS of all these guys. I wouldn't hang my hat on it long-term either, but the SSS we have in front of us hardly justifies anyone being done with Sisco as a backstop.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

__but the SSS we have in front of us hardly justifies anyone being done with Sisco as a backstop.

I don't disagree.  I don't think that replacing either of Severino or Sisco is a front burner issue for Elias.  Once Rutschman arrives, that will signal an intention to improve the team overall.  And I think that's when they will take a look at better back up options than either of the two we have on the 26 man roster now.

• Upvote 1