Poll: Which Os lefty SP prospect ends up with the best career?

interloper

Which Orioles lefty SP prospect ends up with the best Orioles career?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Which Orioles lefty SP prospect ends up with the best Orioles career?

The Orioles currently have 4 kind of similarish lefty SP prospects all knocking on the door. We've seen a handful of starts from Akin and Zimmermann and a cup of coffee from Lowther, while Wells has yet to make his ML debut.

Personally, I can't call it. I haven't seen enough of Wells to say much on him, but the other three have kind of similar stuff with a slight edge to Akin I'd say. Lowther has the deception, allegedly. Zimmermann has maybe the lowest ceiling (?) but otherwise seems like a dependable-ish #4 starter type, which is absolutely something that all 4 of these guys could top out at. 

Does one jump out to you in particular?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I guess I should have been more clear - I picked these 4 because they all kind of have similar ceilings and stuff. Hall obviously is in another class, stuff-wise and prospect-status wise.

He could be on the list and still be far from guaranteed to outperform the others. From the list given I would go with Lowther but as you said they all have fairly similar profiles so it's really a roll of the dice. I'm least high on Akin mostly because I've seen the most of him and wasn't super impressed. 

37 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I need to see Lowther either sit 91-92 over a start or prove that he can succeed at the big league level sitting 88-89.

Wells has similar velocity concerns, for that reason, I am going with Akin.

Akin clearly has the best stuff of the group. But I think Lowther is overall just more well liked. I attribute that to his steady success in the minors while being kind of an underrated dude.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Hard to say.  I feel like if Akin was the best one of the group he'd be in Baltimore right now.  IMO, they all profile as 4th or 5th starters, IE guys that are fungible.  There's not a name on this list that can't easily be replaced.

Put me down for Lowther, I guess.  

They kind of remind me of the "cavalry" except this time around we're less convinced that any of them are any good lol...

I've seen Akin pitch four times, twice in the minors and twice in the majors.  He was awful every time.  I've only seen Lowther once, when he pitched an inning in mop up for the O's this season.  Since I suffer from small sample size syndrome and recency bias, I think Akin is really bad and Lowther is awesome.  Zimmerman had two very good starts and has been mediocre to poor since.  I've never seen Wells.

So Lowther it is.