Adley Rutschman 2021

glenn__davis

17 hours ago, Frobby said:

Good point on the pitch count, Moosinex.    As to Bonds, if Ashley hits 341 with a .529 OBP I promise I will not complain.  

On a related point, fellow catcher Yasmani Grandal is currently hitting .188/.388/.436.    In a way, it’s a pretty good line for a mere mortal, but I don’t think I’d want that out of Rutschman.   

I'd agree, I don't want to see AR hitting .188 but I'd still be thrilled with a .260/.390 batting average/OBP out of AR.  

Yesterday Rutschman has a really good game behind the plate, throwing out two runners and catching Brnovich's 10Ks in 5IP, the catching the wild Almengo for 2IP while throwing (95-98), shifting over to catching the big curve of left-hander Vespi and finishing off with Batista's 100 stuff. 

At one point Vespi threw 6 balls straight. Adley goes out and talks with his pitcher with Vespi first having his glove over his mouth, but Adley looked like he just wanted to calm everything down. Vespi dropped the glove, Adley said something that made Vespi smiled, then he glove/fist bumped him then went back behind the plate and Vespi threw three straight strikes to strike out the batter.

I also love how he runs out to great his pitcher after an inning. He's such a plus-plus leader back there who shows his pitchers how much he's behind them. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Yesterday Rutschman has a really good game behind the plate, throwing out two runners and catching Brnovich's 10Ks in 5IP, the catching the wild Almengo for 2IP while throwing (95-98), shifting over to catching the big curve of left-hander Vespi and finishing off with Batista's 100 stuff. 

I love how he runs out to great his pitcher after an inning. He's such a plus-plus leader back there who shows his pitchers how much he's behind them. 

As hard/worried as I can be about his offense so far, this is honestly the part of his game that I'm most excited for. He's going to instantly be one of leaders of the club the minute he walks through the clubhouse door in Baltimore, and it's not going to be contrived or performative, according to what we've heard about him. And I definitely believe that kind of intangible thing can lead to real results for a team. I think Wieters was a better leader than maybe he got credit for, and I expect a whole other level from Adley in that department. 

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

As hard/worried as I can be about his offense so far, this is honestly the part of his game that I'm most excited for. He's going to instantly be one of leaders of the club the minute he walks through the clubhouse door in Baltimore, and it's not going to be contrived or performative, according to what we've heard about him. And I definitely believe that kind of intangible thing can lead to real results for a team. I think Wieters was a better leader than maybe he got credit for, and I expect a whole other level from Adley in that department. 

I added somethin I saw as well that highlights this if you go back and reread my post.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

At one point Vespi threw 6 balls straight. Adley goes out and talks with his pitcher with Vespi first having his glove over his mouth, but Adley looked like he just wanted to calm everything down. Vespi dropped the glove, Adley said something that made Vespi smiled, then he glove/fist bumped him then went back behind the plate and Vespi threw three straight strikes to strike out the batter.

I also love how he runs out to great his pitcher after an inning. He's such a plus-plus leader back there who shows his pitchers how much he's behind them. 

That's the good stuff right there. Love this. 

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Watched the game as well and noticed the same thing. Thanks for writing it up. Also want to note that he got robbed of a two run double on a full extension dive by the Hartford CF. Stowers also continues to impress

3 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Watched the game as well and noticed the same thing. Thanks for writing it up. Also want to note that he got robbed of a two run double on a full extension dive by the Hartford CF. Stowers also continues to impress

Yeah, that was a heck of a catch by their CFer. 

Adley was at catcher last night, and had a single, double, and a walk w/2 RBI. Now at a respectable .277 / .402 / .504 for Bowie. Really wish they’d promote him (plus Rodríguez and Baumann) to Norfolk soon. Love to see how he’d adjust to tougher pitching. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/22/2021 at 5:22 PM, Frobby said:

Good point on the pitch count, Moosinex.    As to Bonds, if Ashley hits 341 with a .529 OBP I promise I will not complain.  

On a related point, fellow catcher Yasmani Grandal is currently hitting .188/.388/.436.    In a way, it’s a pretty good line for a mere mortal, but I don’t think I’d want that out of Rutschman.   

Perhaps Wieters WAS a switch hitting Jesus after all.  Hear me out.  A Jesus who was just wandering around gathering followers, changing water into wine, having supper with his homies, etc.  We want Adley to be switch-hitting Jesus AFTER He arose to Heaven - you know the god Jesus!  Boom!  ?

55 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Adley was at catcher last night, and had a single, double, and a walk w/2 RBI. Now at a respectable .277 / .402 / .504 for Bowie. Really wish they’d promote him (plus Rodríguez and Baumann) to Norfolk soon. Love to see how he’d adjust to tougher pitching. 

They really have gone to great lengths to keep Adley at Bowie.   For example, Cody Roberts is on the Tides roster.  Cody began this year at Aberdeen where he had a .755 OPS over 23 games, then played two games for Norfolk, one game for Bowie, one game for Aberdeen, then got promoted back to Norfolk last week when Nick Ciuffo went on the IL and has started 4 games at C and one in RF since then.  Obviously there’s no way he gets promoted to Norfolk over Adley based on who was more ready for Norfolk.   Ciuffo just got moved to the 60-day IL.   So are they really going to keep Roberts there for the next two months?

Based on Elias’ comment the other day, and the fact that Ciuffo has been moved to the 60-day IL, I have a feeling that this may be Adley’s last weekend at Bowie.   Putting aside all the extraneous factors regarding service time etc., there’s now a need for a second catcher at Norfolk long term and Rutschman fits that bill better than Roberts.    And, after a couple of big games this week, he’ll be leaving on a high note.   Catch Grayson tonight, finish out tomorrow and move on up.   Sounds like a good plan to me.  

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Frobby said:

They really have gone to great lengths to keep Adley at Bowie.   For example, Cody Roberts is on the Tides roster.  Cody began this year at Aberdeen where he had a .755 OPS over 23 games, then played two games for Norfolk, one game for Bowie, one game for Aberdeen, then got promoted back to Norfolk last week when Nick Ciuffo went on the IL and has started 4 games at C and one in RF since then.  Obviously there’s no way he gets promoted to Norfolk over Adley based on who was more ready for Norfolk.   Ciuffo just got moved to the 60-day IL.   So are they really going to keep Roberts there for the next two months?

Based on Elias’ comment the other day, and the fact that Ciuffo has been moved to the 60-day IL, I have a feeling that this may be Adley’s last weekend at Bowie.   Putting aside all the extraneous factors regarding service time etc., there’s now a need for a second catcher at Norfolk long term and Rutschman fits that bill better than Roberts.    And, after a couple of big games this week, he’ll be leaving on a high note.   Catch Grayson tonight, finish out tomorrow and move on up.   Sounds like a good plan to me.  

I am for it.  Adley and Cumberland at AAA.  Roberts at AA. 

Adely can take Grayson, Baumann and Vespi with him to AAA.

• Upvote 1