Kevin Smith 2021

Frobby

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Pretty stellar outing from Smith last night: 5 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 9 K’s.  His ERA at Norfolk is now 3.86.   

He certainly could get starts in Baltimore this year…him and Bradish being up in a month or so wouldn’t be surprising.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

He certainly could get starts in Baltimore this year…him and Bradish being up in a month or so wouldn’t be surprising.

I'd like to see both of those guys in next year's rotation. I always like to see them get plenty of work in AAA though, so I would wait until September.

Smith gets another start today in AAA.  I'd like to see him go more than 5 innings - something he hasn't done this season, and he's only gone 5 innings once.  Is there a good reason he's got only 40 innings pitched this season?    

6 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Smith gets another start today in AAA.  I'd like to see him go more than 5 innings - something he hasn't done this season, and he's only gone 5 innings once.  Is there a good reason he's got only 40 innings pitched this season?    

It has to be due to the organization limiting innings for everyone after last year's shortened season.

38 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

It has to be due to the organization limiting innings for everyone after last year's shortened season.

Well, a few of the pitchers (Grayson Rodriguez for example) are a little over 50 innings now.   Looks like he got skipped one turn (he didn’t pitch between June 16 and June 27), he pitched in relief once, and he’s had a couple of starts cut short for pitch count reasons (they seem to be holding the pitchers to 75-80 pitches).

His pitch count was high, and he didn't even make 4 innings.  Still has an excellent SO/W ratio.  Doesn't seem likely that he's going to eat enough innings to stay a starter.  He's still got value - O's certainly need help in the bullpen.  

6 hours ago, Ruzious said:

His pitch count was high, and he didn't even make 4 innings.  Still has an excellent SO/W ratio.  Doesn't seem likely that he's going to eat enough innings to stay a starter.  He's still got value - O's certainly need help in the bullpen.  

I'd rather have a guy that pitches 3-4 good innings consistently versus 4-5 terrible innings, which is what we've got now outside of Means. 

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Frobby said:

Smith threw 4.2 scoreless tonight, allowing only one hit but walking four while also fanning four.    Pretty good outing but the walks led to throwing 92 pitches in 4.2 IP.  Smith also hit a batter.

His command has been off for a while now. His slider has been less of a weapon against AAA hitters and I'd love to see the movement and spin rate numbers compared to the AA ball.

Five no-hit shutout innings for Smith last night, 5 walks, 6 strikeouts.  

Norfolk split a doubleheader, losing 1-0 in 10 innings in the opener and winning 1-0 in 7 innings in the nightcap.   There were a total of 13 hits combined by the two teams in the doubleheader.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...