Orioles looking at SS options

Sports Guy

Let's just look at the 3 expensive FA options:

Furcal: 31 years old, .286/.352/.412 career hitter, excellent range but erratic arm. Coming off surgery.

Cabrera: 34 years old, .274/.322/.399 career hitter, average range but very steady arm and glove. .705 OPS this year.

Renteria: 33 years old, .290/.347/.405 career hitter, below average range but pretty steady arm and glove. .699 OPS this year.

Furcal has the most upside but Cabrera is the safest bet. A lot would depend on what each one would cost and how long a contract they'd require.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know who isn't my first choice(or 2nd or third or 4th or 5th....) and that is OCab, Furcal or Renteria.

I want a young SS like Wood, Hardy, Escobar, Cedeno, etc.....the same names we always discuss on here.

I think everyone would prefer young to old. The question is -- how much does it cost us and what do we have to give? Realistically, most of these guys -- minus Cedeno -- will cost us serious prospects. Are we prepared to give up one of our top prospects to get one of these guys? I'm not. If I can grab a young guy on the cheap -- Cedeno, Elvis, etc -- then i go for it. If not, i wouldn't balk at signing a FA ss for a 2 yr deal or so. And if that's not working -- i'd go for a stop gap.

I still think trying to get Khalil Greene is the best way to go for this team. Some people have said Cabrera for Greene would work... I'd even throw in some $$$ to make it so.

If that trade has any real chance of going down, I would pull it in a second. Greene isn't young anymore but he can field and hit. He'd be the best shortstop we've had in years. Really I just wish we had a SS prospect, I can't believe there isn't anyone that we can give a shot to. What about Ed Rogers? ;)

For folks who want Tex, I hear ya'. But let's not pretend it has anything to do with needing a 1B next season. There are some real holes on this team, which Roch's blog accurately listed. 1B isn't one of them.

It may not be a hole for next year... I think Huff could fill in nicely. But thinking long-term, Tex fills a big hole and fits everything the Orioles could possibly hope for. A cornerstone, franchise player who would fit perfectly for the next 6-8 years, especially sandwiched around Markakis and Weiters.

It gives me chills thinking about the potential the O's lineup has when adding a guy like Tex and a serviceable SS. As everyone says it's not about next year. Get Tex, sign Roberts, lock up Markakis, trade for a shortstop, and we have CF, RF, 2B, 1B, and C being manned by potential all-stars, with the rest of the positions filled with solid major leaguers.

Get the starting rotation together (I believe the bullpen will be a strength in the next year or two, especially if the rotation doesn't lean on them for 5 innings a game) I have extremely high hopes for this team in '10.

If it's down to those three names, I pick Furcal.

I think we have zippy chance at getting any of the names we kick around on here, Hardy, Greene, etc....we don't even know if those guys are on the block. It's nice to dream up trades...

I know I'll get creamed for this, but I can live with another year of Castro or whoever at SS. I'd rather get Tex and/or Burnett first.

Furcal or any of those other FA SS's wouldn't be a long term solution anyway. Just masking the problem...

I think we have zippy chance at getting any of the names we kick around on here, Hardy, Greene, etc....we don't even know if those guys are on the block. It's nice to dream up trades...

I know I'll get creamed for this, but I can live with another year of Castro or whoever at SS. I'd rather get Tex and/or Burnett first.

Furcal or any of those other FA SS's wouldn't be a long term solution anyway. Just masking the problem...

I don't think you'll get creamed for this... I'd gladly trade getting both Tex and Burnett for putting up with Castro for another year.

I just don't see the Orioles dealing with Castro if/when the Orioles get those guys.

Too many options that would be an upgrade over Castro regardless who the Orioles sign in FA.

I like the idea of getting Khalil Greene. He just turned 29 on Oct 21st, not old by any means. Out of Petco, into Camden Yards could do wonders for his production. He is more of a modern day SS with pretty good defense and a potent bat. A very nice addition to the lower end of the line-up He is also expendable to the Padres, and from what I've read, he's a good clubhouse guy and a hard worker. I think he would be a good fit for the O's for the next few years.

I think everyone would prefer young to old. The question is -- how much does it cost us and what do we have to give? Realistically, most of these guys -- minus Cedeno -- will cost us serious prospects. Are we prepared to give up one of our top prospects to get one of these guys? I'm not. If I can grab a young guy on the cheap -- Cedeno, Elvis, etc -- then i go for it. If not, i wouldn't balk at signing a FA ss for a 2 yr deal or so. And if that's not working -- i'd go for a stop gap.

Unlikely...You don't see prospect for prospect trades.

I don't see how we have a zippy chance at getting Greene.

Who is the most likely starting SS for the O's in 2009? Here is my opinion after looking at age, ability, salary, cost to acquire, and availability.

Ages are as of April 1, 2009

1. Alex Gonzalez - (32) Cinny is rebuilding. They have Keppinger. They need OFers. I would offer Montanez and Penn. Gonzalez has to be healthy though. $5.375M in '09, option on '10.

2. Ronny Cedeno - (26) The O's need young, with potential. Even with Gonzalez, Cedeno would be a nice addition with potential to grow into the SS position. Without a more experienced SS he might start for the O's. $407K salary in 2008.

3. Joaquin Arias - (24) Sleeper, I had this guy at #15 when I started this analysis. When I compared him with what the O's need, his availability and the cost of getting him, he shot to the top. I have to say I have not followed him. Don't know his fielding ability well. Squeezed in Texas. Young and Kinsler ahead of him and they are signed through 2013. Andrus who is the Rangers SS of the future at AA. Hit the same at AAA and in the majors. 290ish average, 750 OPS. Small sample in majors. 27 SB. $400K

4. Jack Wilson - (31) Experienced, probably available, one year left on his contract. His $7.25M salary in 2009 should be his top end if he is extended.

5. Caesar Izturis - (29) Glove man. FA. Hits a little better than Everett which means he doesn't hit much. $2.85M in 2008

6. Adam Everett - (32) He is a FA, great glove. No bat. Good Backup if Cedeno cost too much. $2.8 in 2008.

7. Rafael Furcal - (31) FA, Expensive. Back surgery, shoulder problems in the past. Likes LA. Best SS in the FA market but very risky. $13M in 2008.

8. JJ Hardy - (26) Available in trade. Will cost a lot in players. O's probably do not match up because ML pitchers will be desired by Brewers. Best available SS for the money. $2.65M in 2008. Will increase in 2009. 4 years of ML service.

9. Edgar Renteria - (33) FA, Normally good bat but bad year in 2008. Declining glove. '09 option declined by Tigers. Will cost a draft choice. $9M+ bonus in 2008.

10. Orlando Cabrera (34) - FA, Decent glove and bat. Will cost a draft choice. Not going back to the White Sox. 34 year old SS probably not in the building plan. $9M in 2008.

11. Brandon Wood - (24) Lots of hurdles in the way of this acquisition. Angels need very little if they sign Tex. No real reason to trade Wood. If the O's get Tex and if the Angels like Huff they may trade Wood for him. Long shot. 400K

12. Erick Aybar - (25) See Wood. $415K

13. Khalil Greene - (29) May be leaving Padres. Wild swings in offensive performance. Padres need to trade for SS in return. Another hard one.

14. Jason Donald - (24) Good developing bat. Questions about range at SS. Phillies need 3B of the future. He is likely best candidate. World Champs can be cautious in trading. Minor league salary.

15. Chin-lung Hu - (25) If Furcal is signed he may become available. Great glove. Probably will not hit much. Singles hitter. If the O's want a bat at SS he is not a match. But if they chance their mind to a good glove so-so bat then maybe. $400K

16. Brent Lillibridge - (25) Probably available. Floundered last year. Could improve. minor league salary. Not as good a glove as Hu. $400K

17. Juan Castro - (36) Last resort, Good glove. No hit. Stop gap. $975K 2008 salary. DFA O's paid prorate $390k.

18. Julio Lugo - (33) Terrible contract. 2/18 plus a $9M vesting option.

19. Elvis Andrus - (20) Probably no available. Texas SS of the future. The guy that is to move Young off SS.

20. Ivan DeJesus - (21) Probably not available. Dodgers are probably the hardest organization to get young talent from until they reach the majors and don't fit.

21. Alcides Escobar - (22) Probably not available. Brewers SS of the future. Everything I read says the Brewers keep him and move Hardy.

What do you think?

Other than the typical banter on here about how we should get him, where has any speculation been that the O's are in the running for Greene?

Please don't show me anything from mlbtraderumors either.

If a desire to shed large chunks of payroll (allegedly due to owner Moores' divorce) has the Padres shopping Jake Peavy, wouldn't you imagine that Khalil Greene is also available?

Archived