What do you think of Tyler Wells?

wildcard

Wells has appeared in 11 games, pitched 19 innings, struck out 25,  has a 1.05 WHIP to go with a 5.21 ERA.  He has given up 6 homers to date.    In  5 appearances in May he has a 3.86 ERA and a 0.96 WHIP.   So he is showing some improvement.   Hyde has not used him for more than 2.1 inning in any appearance.

Last night he gave up a 2 run homer and struck out 6.   

So what do you think?  Is he a keeper?  Is he a future starter?   Will he continue to improve?

• Upvote 1

There's enough promise here to keep him all season. He's doing fine in the role he's been given and considering the jump of competition, the strike out rate and WHIP really stands out so far. His spin rates on his fastball and spin are above average, and he's got above average chase and Whiff % which are all good signs of the stuff.

He's got a chance to still be a starter, but clearly his penchant to give up the longball is something he'll need to improve upon.

• Upvote 4

I wouldn’t put any label on him yet.

He is throwing strikes at a high level and misses bats at an above average rate.

His K rate is strong and his BB rate is solid.  Problem is, his HR rate is terrible and he has an extremely lucky sub .200 BABiP.  Of course, his HR/FB ratio is over 23%, which is also unlucky.

His FIP is close to 6 but his xFIP is just over 4.

For now, I think you have to be relatively happy with him but I don’t see anything that suggests he is a slam dunk going forward or that he will be nothing going forward.  Just keep running him Out there, let some of these stats stabilize and then see what you have.

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I like him better than Jason Garcia. 

I like him better than David Hess and Mike Wright

Seriously, look at the guys we brought up with better pedigrees and better experience who have just been awful.

And didn’t he make the jump all the way from A ball? After a season of nothing? I think he’s doing great.

I don’t know the details about the homeruns he has given up, so the park adjusted factors might not help him, but he’s in a homerun park, so his spin rate, his K rate, and his whip might make him more desirable to team in a pitcher’s  park.

His Yield Home Runs or Walks dial seems turned all the way to HR (still 7 BB in 19 IP).   That's fine for a big young guy approaching 2 years after his TJ the end of this month.   He was probably still learning control/command of his stuff before the procedure.

I don't think the Control not Command label can even apply yet.    The raw stuff is hot, so even at Chuck and Duck he's getting some outs.

If he were a mature MLB pitcher, fantasy players might look at the HR/FB rate, and so, "Oh, as that normalizes his ERA could come down" but I don't think that concept applies to him yet.

• Upvote 1

The only Rule 5 selections I have supported are: Jason Garcia (high upside, didn't work, oh well) , Santander (high upside, worked like a charm) and Russel Martin (high upside, sucks he just got hurt again, like him a lot).

Wells looks good to me. His strikeouts last night were impressive. There were a LOT of high upside guys we passed on this last Rule 5 which disappointed me. I get they have to stick but when you are trying to lose that strategy makes no sense to me. They trade away anyone of value, so who cares? Get the talent in the org. I truly am puzzled by their approach with selecting Rule 5 guys under Elias. I didn't agree with Dan and Buck on their picks, but I understood what they were going after at least.

I am just happy we selected Santander, he was the number one guy I wanted that year.

19 hours ago, Philip said:

I like him better than David Hess and Mike Wright

Seriously, look at the guys we brought up with better pedigrees and better experience who have just been awful.

And didn’t he make the jump all the way from A ball? After a season of nothing? I think he’s doing great.

I don’t know the details about the homeruns he has given up, so the park adjusted factors might not help him, but he’s in a homerun park, so his spin rate, his K rate, and his whip might make him more desirable to team in a pitcher’s  park.

I always thought Mike Wright could have been turned into an effective reliever, possible closer even.  He had two good pitches and seemed to be decent the first inning or so. 

23 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I always thought Mike Wright could have been turned into an effective reliever, possible closer even.  He had two good pitches and seemed to be decent the first inning or so. 

They tried him at reliever.  He was bad there also.

In full disclosure, I really couldn't stand Mike Wright.  Can't really explain it, I just couldn't stand watching him pitch.  Sometimes you just get an irrational dislike for a player.  He's probably a lovely person in real life.

Anyway, back to Wells - I'm bearish but he shows some potential and it's not really hurting this team to have him here.  Might as well hold on to him and see how he develops.

48 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

They tried him at reliever.  He was bad there also.

In full disclosure, I really couldn't stand Mike Wright.  Can't really explain it, I just couldn't stand watching him pitch.  Sometimes you just get an irrational dislike for a player.  He's probably a lovely person in real life.

Anyway, back to Wells - I'm bearish but he shows some potential and it's not really hurting this team to have him here.  Might as well hold on to him and see how he develops.

I don’t know if it ended up mattering or not but the Orioles really jerked Wright around.  He should have been made a full time reliever at least 2 years before they tried him at reliever and they never should have yo-yo’ed him between reliever and starter.  

He never settled into a role or got any kind of rhythm.  

Again, it may not have ever mattered but he was handled poorly and perhaps in an organization that actually knew how to develop pitchers, he would have thrived.  He had the stuff to be a good reliever.