Friday May 21: Orioles visit Washington in the "Beltway Series"

SteveA

Not sure why they call it the "Beltway Series".   Because both teams have Beltways?   So does Atlanta, but they don't call it the Beltway Series when we visit Atlanta.   Anyhow, the Orioles have won 45 0f 80 games all time from the Nats, and the Nats have only won the season series from the Orioles 5 times in the 15 years they have been in existence.

Gametime:  7:05 PM

Television:  You get to choose between O's announcers on MASN2 and Nats announcers on MASN.

Forecast:  Warm, no precipitation

Roster MoveAnthony Santander activated from the IL, Ryan McKenna optioned to Norfolk.

MatchupJorge Lopez (R) vs Stephen Strasburg (R) -- Strasburg coming off the IL

Lineups (NL rules -- NO DH)

1. Cedric Mullins (L) CF
2. Austin Hays (R) LF
3. Trey Mancini (R) 1B
4. Anthony Santander (S) RF
5. Freddy Galvis (S) SS
6. Maikel Franco (R) 3B
7. Stevie Wilkerson (S) 2B
8. Chance Sisco (L) C
9. Jorge Lopez (R) P

1. Trea Turner (R) SS
2. Juan Soto (L) RF
3. Josh Bell (S) 1B
4. Kyle Schwarber (L) LF
5. Starlin Castro (R) 3B
6. Josh Harrison (R) 2B
7. Yan Gomes (R) C
8. Stephen Strasburg (R) P
9. Andrew Stevenson (L) CF

Orioles Bench
Ryan Mountcastle (R)
Pedro Severino (R)
DJ Stewart (L)
Pat Valaika (R)

Orioles Bullpen (last used)

Available
       Shawn Armstrong (2.0 IP, 36 p Tuesday)
       Paul Fry* (0.2 IP 31 p Wednesday)       
       Adam Plutko (0.1 IP, 10p Wednesday)
       Tanner Scott* (0.1 IP, 6p Wednesday)
       Cole Sulser (1.1 IP, 12p Wednesday; 1.2 IP, 24p Tuesday)
       Tyler Wells (2.1 IP, 35p Tuesday)

Probably  Available:
       Cesar Valdez (1.0 IP, 21p yesterday)
       Stevie Wilkerson (1.0 IP, 12p yesterday)

Not Available
       Keegan Akin* (3.0 IP, 76p yesterday)
       Travis Lakins (1.0 IP, 39p yesterday; 1.1 IP, 36 p Tuesday)         

*Lefthanders noted by asterisk     

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

I’ve been reading about Lopez and it’s not pretty. In 8 starts this year he’s finished the fifth inning twice.

His pitch counts this season are:

75, 68, 75( 5 innings at Texas, he won that start) 81( Hyde let him start the inning and the first batter hit a home run before he was pulled) 79(Lopez put two men on to start the fifth and Plutko let them both score) 76(including two outs in the fifth. He left two men on but this time Plutko finished the inning clean) 71(left with two on in the 6th, Valdez let one of them score.)

Finally, 71 pitches in two awful innings and 5/4 ER against NY.

The Takeaway is that Lopez can’t handle more than about 60-65 pitches. When Hyde lets him start an inning after a certain number of pitches he always leaves with runners on and several times didn’t register an out.

Hyde knows this. So why does he continue to send him out for another inning when he should know better? The relievers have done him few favors but that’s another problem. If the relievers are bad, call up another batch of relievers. Take Lopez out of the rotation. But don’t keep making the same mistake. After a while it stops being a mistake.

Hyde leaves him in knowing he’s going to get real bad real fast, and yet...he persists. That’s the definition of insanity.

5 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

I will never complain about our announcers.  I have to use the Nats feed for some reason on stream and it is tough to listen.  Who is the the guy that took F.P Angello’s position. 

Do you have MASN2? MASN 1 is the  Nat's announcers, while MASN2 is the Orioles announcers.

5 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

I will never complain about our announcers.  I have to use the Nats feed for some reason on stream and it is tough to listen.  Who is the the guy that took F.P Angello’s position. 

I am a fan of both teams so usually watch a little of both games if played the same time and it has been Justin Maxwell a former player who is currently attending dental school in Baltimore.  Not sure if that is who it is today as I am on the O’s broadcast.

8 minutes ago, O's84 said:

Do you have MASN2? MASN 1 is the  Nat's announcers, while MASN2 is the Orioles announcers.

I stream it on computer and usually use Orioles feed but it keeps freezing for some reason so stuck with Nats broadcast.

15 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

The announcers are one of the few bright spots in this organization. I really like all of our announcers except Garceau.